Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home-made steel tools

Thank you

Silver steel is fairly tolerant of repeated heat treating, but if you overheat it during the tempering you'll need to go back to the first step of hardening it before retempering.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaZ View Post
    Hello forum, just wondered, for chasing and repousse I want to file some straight line making tools and slightly curved... I think I can buy steel rods and then file the end that I want. Any ideas? Is that the best way? I have been taught that way and also I think I can just buy the pieces of steel from cooksons, at least I think its steel I need... Is it steel? Thanks in advance...
    Theres a great book Evaz .Its"Chasing and Repousse: Methods Ancient and Modern", by Nancy Megan Corwin.
    Re steel, Allen keys can be bought in job lots on ebay.You can practise shaping by straightening out any that need use of the bit " beyond the bend".
    Making tools is fun in itself and the book comes with colourphotos.
    I just mention this in addition to what James has said.
    Nick
    PS Ihave been told by some who knows that one of the top people in this speciality doesnt bother with tempering.
    Last edited by NickD; 12-08-2020 at 02:53 PM.

You would be able to get away without tempering when using on soft metals, not tempering makes the tool prone to chipping, if you drop the tool on a hard surface it may shatter like glass

Before you temper you need to harden so if you skip this you remain with the steel you initially softened prior to shaping

I have always made my own chasing tools using silver steel rods. I use the same method of hardening and tempering as I use when preparing my scorpers for use as I posted earlier on this question.
    This photo sheet shows a section of my photo sheet that I previously posted, showing my hardening and tempering methods.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18 Hardening and tempering the tip.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	12643

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 13-08-2020 at 02:01 PM.