Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing my marbles

Default Losing my marbles

Playing with marbles at the mo. I used 0.4mm copper strip, 5mm wide, riveted at the top. Basically it's a double sided bezel. I did try to use my square bezel pusher by itself to curve the metal over the marble but couldn't make any impression on it. Maybe the curve was too subtle and the bezel to thick for that? Ended up holding the marble on a rubber block as well as the pusher and hitting it with a hammer. Big awkward faff. Is there a simple way to keep my marble held when I make another one in fine silver?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200602_171800_compress70.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	12503

The problem you have is due to the bezel pivoting on the marble. If you hold the bezel up to its half way point so it can't move and then set one side. Once that is done you can hold the other side and the set the side that was originally held.

Thermoloc
    Polymorph
    Coolmorph
    Hot melt glue
    Setters/engravers cement - this one is messy.

Any of the above should work ok.

Quote Originally Posted by alastairduncan View Post
    The problem you have is due to the bezel pivoting on the marble. If you hold the bezel up to its half way point so it can't move and then set one side. Once that is done you can hold the other side and the set the side that was originally held.

Thermoloc
    Polymorph
    Coolmorph
    Hot melt glue
    Setters/engravers cement - this one is messy.

Any of the above should work ok.
    Ah, I see what you mean, so basically it's able to bend and return to it's original position. Will have a go with your recommendation

Yes, I've tried that. it works a treat. Bury it half way with its bezel, in some thermosetting plastic, and set that side. Then undo and turn over for the same again. Dennis.

Just bought some coolmorph, fingers crossed. Hope It makes things a lot easier,

Default Another one.

This was my effort today. I put 6 dimples in some 0.5mm copper sheet then riveted it onto the marble. The idea being the dimples would create a tension setting. It's sort of worked, but is not gripping quite tightly enough. Any thoughts or should I throw this idea out onto the pile of good intentions.

Name:	20200603_142117_compress70.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	12504

Good intentions or good indentations 🙂

If you had corresponding indentations in the marble then it would be much more secure. You could put pins on the inside of the band and drill small holes in the marble. Can you get marbles with holes right through or drill right through and rivet the band onto the marble? Diamond drills and burrs would be required.

Saw what you did there I think my preference would be drilling indentations rather than all the way through. I've tried drilling glass before and it's really really slow...it least it is when I do it.

I stuck the coolmorph to a bit of wood and set my double sided bezel into it. Yes it works! Could just push the metal over without the assistance of a hammer. I'm happy now

Name:	20200608_101755_compress78.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	12510

That's the way to do it Sheena. Now you're our marble setting expert. Dennis.