Thread: An Acrylic Cuff With Hinge And Catch.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default An Acrylic Cuff With Hinge And Catch.

Acrylic sheet is fun to bend. You can just put it on a baking sheet in your home oven at 165°C and within minutes it can be formed around a mandrel, wearing thick gloves of course.

It takes a bit of practice to get an even shape, but the same piece can be reheated several times.
    Here I used a 30 x 190mm strip and once formed around my oval bangle mandrel, which is slightly tapered, I cut it in half to add my silver findings.

For the cuff ends I made open sided sleeves from textured sterling. The hinge was made using jump rings for knuckles and a tubular hinge pin with heads of balled silver wire.
    The catch is of similar construction, but has a split pin made from D-shaped wire which is held captive by a thin divider of white gold in the top jump ring.

The sleeves are glued in place with self curing acrylic.

I also added some foil backed crystals to one side, which can be shown or hidden according to mood. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hc1 Hinged Cuff the Parts.jpg   Hc2 The Hinge.jpg   Hc3 Catch Open.jpg   Hc4 Catch Closed.jpg