Thread: Flush setting cabachons

Post Flush setting cabachons

Hello Everybody,

I'm trying to flush set cabochons between 3-6mm, are they set slightly differently to faceted stones? as the cabs just move around while I'm trying to set.

Any help or ticks and trips would be great.

Thank you,
    Denise

Hi, Louise. It's unusual to try and flush set cabochons, because the large amount of metal to be moved, creates a problem with clearing up afterwards. Even if successful, the final effect is not necessarily pleasing.

As you have found, smaller cabochons also tend to turn turtle when pushed, unless the floor which bears them is flat.
    If you are keen to try, then use fine silver sheet and having made a hole of the right diameter with a round burr, flatten the floor by inserting a matching Wheel Burr, pictured below, but end on. Cousins have them.

Practice with copper first. Welcome to the forum, Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wheel burrs.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi, Louise. It's unusual to try and flush set cabochons, because the large amount of metal to be moved, creates a problem with clearing up afterwards. Even if successful, the final effect is not necessarily pleasing.

As you have found, smaller cabochons also tend to turn turtle when pushed, unless the floor which bears them is flat.
    If you are keen to try, then use fine silver sheet and having made a hole of the right diameter with a round burr, flatten the floor by inserting a matching Wheel Burr, pictured below, but end on. Cousins have them.

Practice with copper first. Welcome to the forum, Dennis.
    Hi Dennis,

Thank you for your reply, maybe using a hammer handpiece will help with moving the metal and I will also get myself a wheel burr.
    I found this image of some vintage rings and now I just can't shake the idea.

Thanks again,
    Denise

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2487.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	12473

Quote: "I found this image of some vintage rings and now I just can't shake the idea."

Yes I can quite understand that. It is quite tantalising and relies on the fact that the cabs are very shallow.
    You might have to ask a dealer to search through their stock for very flat cabs and settle for another colour if necessary.

Please let us know how you get on. Regards, Dennis.

Either that or you’ll have to find vintage stones and reuse them. I think the cut of stones is quite different in vintage jewellery

When I did a metal working course 20 years or so ago it wasn't called flush setting by my tutor. I remember her teaching me how to set 3 and 4mm cabochons with a hammer and punch into balls of silver with just a ball burr to open up a hole and a setting punch and hammer. I keep meaning to try it again because I like the subtle texture that the hammer and punch gave. I've still got a piece of jewellery that I wear that was set that way. Since taking up metal work again I've flush set vintage glass stones but they were faceted, although I still just use a ball burr to open up the hole. It's all doable, you just have to play.

Probably called it gypsy setting. A couple of examples with differing cabochon styles :

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2703720...-kt-gold-gypsy
    https://www.rubylane.com/item/182298...phire-Cabochon

Do you want to have stones equally spaced around the ring as per your photo? This would be more challenging than the examples that I have shown because there is less metal to blend once the stone has been set and there is the possibility of stretching the ring causing size problems. An interesting project :-)

Thanks for all the replies and ideas and tips.

The design is actually for one stone, planning on a signet ring, I will try out these ideas and show you what I come up with (or that it was a complete fail)

fingers crossed for me!

I've found one video that shows a single stone set via gypsy. If I was attempting this I would probably hold it in a ring clamp or dop stick with appropriate goo, and I would use hammer and punch.

https://youtu.be/498czwbeiPM