Thread: Silver Wire Problems

Default Silver Wire Problems

Hello!!

I am having some trouble when sawing and soldering rectangular silver wire. Because the wire is so malluable it moves when im sawing down the join, and it doesnt allow me to create an even join on both ends. It's only when im sawing down the join to make sure there isnt any light going through.

The other issue I am having is that when I am soldering, the silver wire moves. For example when making a bangle... it then creates a step in the bangle.

Are there any tools that can help with the above to hold the wire totally still when sawing and when soldering?

It's starting to drive me a little nutty hahah!

Hi Jay,
    Lining up the ends of square wire is a known problem, but it helps if they have been filed neatly using one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/25187702899...yABEgLNyfD_BwE

For larger items, such as bangles, the ends can be kept together for soldering using biding wire across the diameter. However, unless you have a large torch, or two small ones, you will be unable to heat it enough to reach soldering temperature'
    The idea is to start heating at a point remote from the joint and only when it is hot enough, to home in on the soldering area. Dennis.

As Dennis said binding wire may help you when soldering or else you could perhaps try clamping the piece, like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54 Calmps and a strip to hold bangle shapes.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	12454

James

Have you annealed the wire before soldering?
    I'd also go with binding wire and/or clips.

I recently made up some of James' titanium soldering clips and they have been so useful for all manner of soldering tasks.