Thread: Polishing powder for soldering

Default Polishing powder for soldering

Hi.
    I asked to a jeweller about soldering micro chain to jump ring without melting it. He said i can use polishing power which will stop the solder flew to the chain.
    Anyone know what sort of polishing powder he meant?

Thanks...

Powdered rouge. Mixed with a little water or meths.

Yes, but there is really no need to bother with that, it's far too messy.
    Just close the jump ring with a little excess solder. Use easy if you're new to this. Lay the soldered joint touching or on top of the chain. Re-heat the jump ring and the solder will re-melt and run onto the chain.
    This is sweat soldering band has several applications. Use a flame that is soft, by reducing the air holes on your torch a little and work in a darkened area, so that you can spot any inadvertent overheating, Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Use a flame that is soft, by reducing the air holes on your torch a little and work in a darkened area, so that you can spot any inadvertent overheating, Dennis
    Morning Dennis,
    I was trying to locate your earlier thread about about fabricating a band to fit over the air holes of a large torch - did you make it out of copper, or something else?
    Jules

Hi Jules. In this case Gina will be using a mini-torch and they already have an adjustment ring for reducing the air intake.

To answer your question, for large hand held torches, you can make your own Ω shaped band about 12mm wide, from any metal you have to hand, bearing in mind that they get hot and can only be adjusted before turning the torch on.
    Many years ago before Campingas took them over, I wrote to the company, but they weren't that interested. Their reply was that they could not authorise a modification without their technical department's approval.

As a result I have been using this unapproved modification for about twenty years, allowing me to achieve a short soft flame when needed. Regards, Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hand Held Torch Modified.jpg  

Many thanks for re-posting this Dennis; that's the beastie I have. I managed to melt something very tiny when my other torches were not 'cooperating' last week, as my flame was just too bushy and big. Cheers!
    Jules

I will try again.
    My chain is 0.5mm. Jump ring is pretty too. Was thinking to buy Solder paste from cooksons.
    I wish i can have little smith torch n studio. Just complaining about the hand torch.
    I will give a go as I have a good advise now.
    My success rate is 60% normally. I want to practice more.
    Thanks a lot

Looks like this is working. Thanks Dannies and Jules