Thread: Free (and easy) CAD software

Default Free (and easy) CAD software

Hi,
    Is there a relatively easy and free piece of CAD software that people use to mock up what a design might look like?
    Thanks
    Emmy

Quote Originally Posted by Embo View Post
    Hi,
    Is there a relatively easy and free piece of CAD software that people use to mock up what a design might look like?
    Thanks
    Emmy
    Any software with good functionality comes with a learning curve. I'm not sure that a cad package is what you need, these are usually used for architectural and engineering drawings. I have used a free version of qcad years ago when I submitted planning docs.

Currently I use inkscape for 2D drawing it is free and find it easy to use.

For 3D work Blender is free and there is a free 3rd party plugin for jewellery design and it has some good reviews. I had a play with Blender a little while ago and it takes a while to get used to. I haven't tried the jewellery plugin.

A really good art and photography editing software package is GIMP Gnu Image Manipulation Program and is free. I've used this for years and can recommend it.

Rhino is widely used for Jewellery Cad its not free but there is a free 3 month trial to see if you like it you can use it after 90 days but it won't save anything. https://www.rhino3d.com/download loads of online tutorials / youtube vids for it too.
    https://www.autodesk.co.uk/products/fusion-360/overview Fusion 360 is free for non commercial use but Im not sure the jewellery side of things is as well documented as with Rhino