Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a bench

Default Buying a bench

Hi everybody, it's been a while as it's been a bit tough, had a severe migraine and it's screwed up my eyes. Seeing double currently but have been assured it will wear off. This has made reading and writing rather difficult but I was wanting to ask your thoughts on this bench. I want to have one in a sliding wardrobe in my flat, from the dimensions given it should fit (the width/depth is 475mm, different from the measurements on cookson) Anyone bought this one. I'm left handed but it should be okay I think.

https://durston.com/product/durston-...llers-benches/

Hi Sheena, wishing you a speedy recovery from the migraine.
    The bench will be quite heavy when loaded with tools, so are you planning to leave it in place, or does it have to be taken out?
    You might also consider something much simpler such as this one, and have separate sets of drawers, free standing. The thumbnail below it shows a Durston one, presumably not included, but you could also add a set of metal office drawers. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Durston-Jew...BS5Z1C73TH19F0

Dennis

Once it's in the wardrobe it'll stay there until I move flat, which won't happen for some years I hope. Sadly I don't have a spare room so putting it in the giant living room wardrobe is my best bet. I've never had a proper jewellers desk so it's a bit of a guess as to what I'd like. Main thing is having a surface with no bounce to work on and somewhere to set up a vice and bench peg.

Default Homemade Bench

I've finally contacted a joiner to ask him about having a bench made. i don't know anything about benches, does anyone have a good resource for them? Is a cut out worth having? Anything I should be aware of when I'm a small woman. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. As it's going to be in a cupboard i'm going to look into insulating the walls to to keep the sound down. I'd love to finally be able to have my drill out permanently and my heavy gauge wire bender screwed to a table so I can actually use it.
    Last edited by Sheen; 26-05-2021 at 08:06 PM.

What do you think about this guy's bench build?
    https://youtu.be/sqny0VgeCfM

The one in the video should be ok, the thing about having it made means you can adjust the size and anything else to suit, the top is important at least 38-40 mm, I use a draw to catch things not a skin.

What's the benefit in having a drawer rather than a skin?
    I was thinking about the things i would use my bench for. It would be hammering, sawing, wax carving and stone setting. I'm going to keep the soldering in my kitchen because of safety issues.

Draw vs skin purely a matter of choice, I find if you frequently move from your Jewellery bench to other locations as I do, soldering station is adjacent my main bench and my heavy bench is is behind me, I find it more convenient to slide in a draw rather than unhooking a skin

If you are on the shorter side like me and you have a specific location to work with I would suggest having the bespoke one made. Think about your chair height, your sitting position and good posture this can then determine the height of the bench. Think about thickness of top, and type of surface as it will absorb hammering noises, it needs to be sturdy so have the legs X braced. The actual top of mine is is not fixed it slots onto pins so can easily be removed if required. I have a draw to catch everything, again this comes all the way out, allowing for all sweepings to be poured into a tub. Looking at the vid, the design would no suit me, the draws are not positioned comfortably for me, I have separate draws to the left, the L form would not work for me. The depth of the work bench for me is important, too deep and it is wasted space.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by art925; 27-05-2021 at 06:31 AM.
    Poor old Les

Some random comments:
    1. Cut outs enable everything to be within reach, but waste about a quarter of the work area. Its up to you.
    2. It is quite useful to have the drawers separate and on casters. The bottoms need to be strong or they will give way due to the weight of steel tools and blocks.
    3. The worktop needs a wooden barrier on three sides to prevent things falling off. Dennis.