Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying a bench

I’ve always had a skin as I like the flexibility. I bought a new bench of the tall variety with drawer and I hated everything about it, hate the drawer especially as I banged my knees. I sold it on to another jeweller. Have an adjustable height stool but like me you’ll probably not be spending a working day at the bench

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I’ve always had a skin as I like the flexibility. I bought a new bench of the tall variety with drawer and I hated everything about it, hate the drawer especially as I banged my knees. I sold it on to another jeweller. Have an adjustable height stool but like me you’ll probably not be spending a working day at the bench
    No just a couple of hours at the most. The main activity that gets my neck is wax carving. I'd like a better posture for that. My breakfast bar is making me scrunch over particularly because the light is not quite in the right place. Definitly going to get an adjustable seat. My breakfast bar chair has actually been quite good in that regard.

Do you have a cutout Caroline? I imagine you need one if you have a skin
    Last edited by Sheen; 27-05-2021 at 10:41 AM.

Yes I have quite a wide cutout because the depth of my bench had to fit the size of the room.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Yes I have quite a wide cutout because the depth of my bench had to fit the size of the room.
    My bench is going to be quite narrow to fit the cupboard I want to put it in, 18 1/2 " deep. I've never used a cut out so it's hard for me to know what it would be like.

I've been looking at those holes for slotting mandrels into the edge of your bench. Would anyone recommend them? If so, does your mandrel need to be a tight fit and how deep do they need to be?

I sent you an email a couple of days ago. Hope it arrived!

Re mandrel holes I don't use them or have them.
    ( why am I up at 1.10 am at 7 deg c )

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Some random comments:
    1. Cut outs enable everything to be within reach, but waste about a quarter of the work area. Its up to you.
    2. It is quite useful to have the drawers separate and on casters. The bottoms need to be strong or they will give way due to the weight of steel tools and blocks.
    3. The worktop needs a wooden barrier on three sides to prevent things falling off. Dennis.
    Thanks Dennis some very useful pointers

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Re mandrel holes I don't use them or have them.
    ( why am I up at 1.10 am at 7 deg c )
    I don't think any of the jewellery teachers I follow have them either. Why were you up at 1.10am? Hee, hee. I was up at 2.00am listening to some tipsy folk banging on their door to be let in until someone shouted at them