Thread: choosing polishing mops and compounds.

Default choosing polishing mops and compounds.

Hi,

I wondered if anyone may have some advice..
    I'm about to purchase a single speed polishing motor.

I would like to buy the correct mops and compounds.
    I work with silver and small amounts of gold, so I understand ill need rougher calico mops with tripoli, then sofetr mops .

Are there any mops and compounds that I should try to achieve a nice finish?

Thanks for reading

im also new to learning polishing skills and techniques, but have a look at the 3m radial discs
    https://www.moleroda.com/product/sma...scs-19mm-25mm/
    dont need compound to use with them

For a polishing motor I would go with black bristle brush, for the rough stage, a stitched calico mop for intermediate stage and a loose leaf swansdown mop for final stage
    every body has their favourite compounds a good start would be Dialux it is inexpensive and many jewellers swear by it.
    I have a different set of mops for each metal.
    3m discs are good for pre finish, they are expensive and require a pendant motor of some kind, personally I do not believe they will produce the quality of finish you will achieve with a polishing motor mops and compounds.

In many cases it’s a matter of preference for compounds. Some still use tripoli and rouge, some have moved on to luxi and others swear by menzerna. I’m thinking about trying the latter as I still go between the other depending what surface I’m polishing
    Like Bob I use a bristle brush for tripoli or luxi
    I use calico or have recently found the synthetic suede mops which I’ve found give a really good finish and don’t need the preparation required of new mops then a soft wool for a last finish

This is the finish I expect to get Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9A07ED32-9F61-42C7-8342-304EC74F7803.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	12445 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A5DEDC32-9BD8-4506-89AF-B1FFF7D7B250.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	12446

I find the Menzerna question interesting, in Australia you simply can not buy, a few suppliers obtained some and put it out to customers to try the feed back was so bad that no one will have any thing to do with it here.

I can recommend a really good book on polishing for jewellery and silversmithing which is quite comprehensive and easy enough to read. You can get a copy from cooksongold or a google version for around a fiver. Here is a link to a preview of the book.

https://books.google.co.uk/books/abo...on&redir_esc=y

Having been recommended by others on here, I had this for Christmas and it has revolutionised my polishing. Excellent and well worth a read before you decide on what to buy.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I find the Menzerna question interesting, in Australia you simply can not buy, a few suppliers obtained some and put it out to customers to try the feed back was so bad that no one will have any thing to do with it here.
    I haven’t tried it Bob as I find myself still going back to rouge and tripoli from luxi mid polish. Lots of people do seem to think it’s the bees knees though

Not mentioned here yet, but once you have bought a lathe you will also need a hood, with or without extraction. Even without extraction it will collect sprayed polish and keep your walls clean. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I haven’t tried it Bob as I find myself still going back to rouge and tripoli from luxi mid polish. Lots of people do seem to think it’s the bees knees though
    Menzerna is mentioned in the polishing book. He lists the different products and what they are equivalent to traditionally and there are mentions when he uses the products in addition to the more traditional Tripoli/rouge route.

I use Tripoli and radio rouge, mainly because I bought these bars years ago and will probably last me for my lifetime. If I were to use more gold I may be tempted to try the p175