Thread: Hi from Ireland

Smile Hi from Ireland

Just a few quick lines to say "Hi" to everyone here.

I am a late starter to making jewellery.

Four years ago, at fifty years of age, I went back to school to study Art.

Up til then I worked as a service engineer, so I have quite a few metalworking skills and a fair collection of tools.

For now, I am getting used to using a piercing saw, and have remelted the small piece of recycled silver I have been playing with twenty or more times.

Today I ordered a 100 x 100mm of 1.2mm sterling from our gracious hosts.

In time, I hope to add enamel to some of my work.

So that's where I am for now.

Best wishes...

Sean

Hi Sean welcome from me.
    So glad you have started at the beginning and are learning bench skills before being adventurous with ideas. You’ll be able to do amazing things once you’re proficient in the use of a saw, files and soldering and you’ll be off.
    Most of us started off working on a non precious metal like copper, cheap to make mistakes on.
    What are you going to do with your silver, do you have something in mind?
    Look forward to seeing your progress. Caroline

Hi Sean and welcome to the forum. Many of your tools will still serve you well and if you have any copper tubing that can be split and flattened, then you can practice on that, because it works very much like silver. Earth wire from scrap cable is also useful for the same reason. Dennis.

Hi Sean and welcome

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Hi Sean welcome from me.
    So glad you have started at the beginning and are learning bench skills before being adventurous with ideas. You’ll be able to do amazing things once you’re proficient in the use of a saw, files and soldering and you’ll be off.
    Most of us started off working on a non precious metal like copper, cheap to make mistakes on.
    What are you going to do with your silver, do you have something in mind?
    Look forward to seeing your progress. Caroline
    Hi Caroline, thank you for your welcome. I've been playing with copper and brass for a while now.

Copper roses and celtic patterns in sheet and brass keyring style names. Just simple things.

The silver sheet is kind of the next step in that direction. Earrings and pendants for my nieces are first on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi Sean and welcome to the forum. Many of your tools will still serve you well and if you have any copper tubing that can be split and flattened, then you can practice on that, because it works very much like silver. Earth wire from scrap cable is also useful for the same reason. Dennis.
    Hi Dennis, thanks for your welcome. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a magpie when it comes to copper and brass scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    Hi Sean and welcome
    Hi Josef1, thanks for your welcome.

Best wishes..

Sean