Thread: Novice but excited to be here!

Smile Novice but excited to be here!

Hi everyone,

This is my first time in a forum and I am also pretty new to the world of jewellery design but so far I am loving it!

I am just starting off and have plenty of designs to get going with - it's more the practical skills and experience and knowledge that I currently lacking but am keen to learn!

I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone might be able to help with:

1. I'm going to be using lots of cabochons in my designs, which will need to be cut to specific dimensions in a flat disc style. I'm thinking that ordering these in bulk is probably going to be better than cutting myself as I will need quite a few and currently have no stone cutting skills. I have been looking at gemstone suppliers but can't find somewhere that delivers stones cut to order - if anyone can recommend somewhere that would be amazing! I will need quite a few so thinking that a factory might be best but not sure.

2. Once I have the flat disc style gemstones, I will be looking to engrave them - just for some slight indentation. I am looking at the Magic 50 for metal engraving but it doesn't also engrave stones. Can anyone recommend a tool that does - ideally not free-hand but from a digital design instead as the measurements will need to be exact.

3. 3D modelling - I am going to design my pieces using CAD and Rhino 6 is the software that seems to keep coming up. Is this the best one to use? Also, if you were going to hire a designer/freelancer, where would you choose to find them? I am looking on CAD Crowd at the moment but just thought someone on here might have a suggestion.

Even if you could help me with one of the above, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you all so much!

Sammy
    Last edited by SWilsher; 27-04-2020 at 06:03 PM.

Hi Sammy

Rhino is a great software and lots of videos on youtube etc to help you. The CAD learning curve is quite steep but if you have a idea of what you are building that will help. Getting a designer/freelancer can be a minefield as not many CAD designers have been jewellers so they are not always the best. A way I have cut soft stones in the past is with a diamond bit in a small CNC milling machine. I used thermo loc to hold them. I think having stones cut to size would work out expensive way of doing it. Maybe source stones similar to what you want and design round that ?

As said by Josef above, having existing cabochons re-cut will be very expensive, but an established company might be able to source them for you, for instance AE Ward: https://www.wardgemstones.com/

Also try our member John Allison: https://gojdsp.uk/listing/john-allison-lapidary.html

Hi Josef,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me.
    I really appreciate the advice and have taken it all on board! I've downloaded the trial for Rhino and will see how I get on and will take a look on YouTube for tutorial videos as you've suggested.

Many thanks,
    Sammy

Hi Dennis,

Thank you very much for the recommendations - I will take a look at both! Much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sammy

this is a link to a little video of cutting out sea glass
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BpGzRnej9Pc/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	12443

I don't have images of the finished pendant but it had 6 or so bits of glass that fitted together to make a wave shape if I remember