Thread: Novice but excited to be here!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile Novice but excited to be here!

Hi everyone,

This is my first time in a forum and I am also pretty new to the world of jewellery design but so far I am loving it!

I am just starting off and have plenty of designs to get going with - it's more the practical skills and experience and knowledge that I currently lacking but am keen to learn!

I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone might be able to help with:

1. I'm going to be using lots of cabochons in my designs, which will need to be cut to specific dimensions in a flat disc style. I'm thinking that ordering these in bulk is probably going to be better than cutting myself as I will need quite a few and currently have no stone cutting skills. I have been looking at gemstone suppliers but can't find somewhere that delivers stones cut to order - if anyone can recommend somewhere that would be amazing! I will need quite a few so thinking that a factory might be best but not sure.

2. Once I have the flat disc style gemstones, I will be looking to engrave them - just for some slight indentation. I am looking at the Magic 50 for metal engraving but it doesn't also engrave stones. Can anyone recommend a tool that does - ideally not free-hand but from a digital design instead as the measurements will need to be exact.

3. 3D modelling - I am going to design my pieces using CAD and Rhino 6 is the software that seems to keep coming up. Is this the best one to use? Also, if you were going to hire a designer/freelancer, where would you choose to find them? I am looking on CAD Crowd at the moment but just thought someone on here might have a suggestion.

Even if you could help me with one of the above, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you all so much!

Sammy
    Last edited by SWilsher; 27-04-2020 at 06:03 PM.