Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Little Torch set up

Default Help with Little Torch set up

Hi, I've joined these forums to ask for some help. I have already contacted customer service at Cookson Gold but they couldn't help with any of my questions so I am hoping that someone here either has some experience with my problem or knows enough about dual gas system set ups to advise me.

I'm a jewellery maker and at the end of last year I upgraded my soldering kit to the Smiths Little Torch. I wanted a genuine brand torch as it has a great reputation but I live in Germany and my goldsmithing suppliers here either sell mouth blown torches only (which I hate) or non-brand micro torches... so I ordered from Cookson Gold (they have a German site so I assumed that everything would be compatible with the European standards). I already had a propane set up and when the torch arrived it fitted without problems to the propane regulator I already had. So far so good. Just recently I got it together to finally purchase a O2 gas bottle and regulator so that I could start using the torch... BUT, the O2 valve would not fit the German bought O2 regulator. I researched adaptors I could buy and spoke to my German equipment supplier and purchased the US to EU adaptors that they stock for non-Euro micro torches... BUT, that didn't fit either. I contacted Cookson Gold and their email just said they had no experience of O2 and Gas set ups (which seems strange seeing as they sell the relevant equipment) and just sent me links to their O2 regulator (which has a different valve to connect to the gas bottle than the regulator I already have... so I am not really prepared to spend over 100€ on a regulator that may well not fit my gas bottle) and flashback arresters.

My questions are... does anyone know what kind of standard the pre-fitted valves are on the Little Torch (Cookson didn't respond when I asked them)? I know they are both 3/8" but is that UK, EU, US or Asian standard - this info could help me when trying to find an adaptor.
    Also, does anyone know if I could just buy a valve adaptor from a hardware store that makes a 3/8" into a 1/4" (which is what I need for the German regulators) and stick it on the Little Torch or do I need a product specific adaptor that is made for these kind of torches?
    And lastly, is it possible or advisable to just remove the valves from the Little Torch and attach new Euro-standard valves?

Thanks in advance

Hi Kazanian
    Not a Smiths user but I think you might want to persevere with Cookson as they should know what is specific to your needs in Germany. I would think the reason you didn’t get a reply is because they are closed for now at least in the U.K. maybe not Germany if you’re coming out of lockdown..
    Have you tried contacting The manufacturer directly with your questions?

I did receive a reply from Cookson but they just said they didn't have any experience with the system which I found really odd seeing as they sell it. I felt really fobbed off to be honest as the majority of their reply was links to other bits of equipment I could buy from them, including an O2 regulator for over 100€ that I can see wouldn't attach to my gas bottle. I may try contacting Smiths directly but I don't know whether the valves on the torch I purchased are the original US ones, and when I asked Cookson customer service they ignored that part of my email. I'm going to try with a normal hardware store bought 3/8 to 1/4" adaptor... nothing proprietary or specific to jewellery making torches, just one I bought on Ebay. If that fits on the Little Torch valve then I'm good to go, I just hope I'm not doing anything unsafe!

Contact https://www.millerwelds.com/
    They are the manufacturers, be care when buying adapters from a hardware store be sure they are designed for gas

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely shoot them an email. The adaptor I've purchased is designed for gas and for welding/soldering equipment - just not specifically a Little Torch (it's classed under Auto and Workshop tools/equipment).

Quote Originally Posted by Kazanian View Post

And lastly, is it possible or advisable to just remove the valves from the Little Torch and attach new Euro-standard valves?
    The fitting on the end of the hose is not a valve, you can change the hoses as these can deteriorate over the years there is an American centric(states american thread sizes) video on you tube on how to do this if you have the correct set of hoses for the equipment that you have. You could of course just change the fitting at the end of the hose if you have the correct fitting.

https://youtu.be/Ncw7BLDsfsE

Hi, that's also been a bit of a issue when trying to sort out this problem - the language difference between English and German. In German I know they are Anschlüsse or Gewindeadapter but in English I was going by the Cookson product description where they referred to them as valves.
    I was advised by a German company that I use a lot for my equipment needs that in theory I should be able to do that too... just swap out the fittings... but they had no idea where I could buy the correct ones and I couldn't recognise anything that looked similar during my internet search.

The twiddly nobs that are coloured red and green that control the gas and oxygen are the valves and that's possibly where the confusion is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazanian View Post
    I did receive a reply from Cookson but they just said they didn't have any experience with the system which I found really odd seeing as they sell it. I felt really fobbed off to be honest as the majority of their reply was links to other bits of equipment I could buy from them, including an O2 regulator for over 100€ that I can see wouldn't attach to my gas bottle. I may try contacting Smiths directly but I don't know whether the valves on the torch I purchased are the original US ones, and when I asked Cookson customer service they ignored that part of my email. I'm going to try with a normal hardware store bought 3/8 to 1/4" adaptor... nothing proprietary or specific to jewellery making torches, just one I bought on Ebay. If that fits on the Little Torch valve then I'm good to go, I just hope I'm not doing anything unsafe!
    I think they only started selling them this year and often they are not very up to speed with their new products. You would hope that the maker would be able to give you the data for the country of use. I would hate for anyone to give you info and something awful happens.

So where they say "Two pre-fitted 3/8" valves" they mean the twiddly knobs? Ugh! I'm definitely confused and so frustrated that it's proving so difficult just to find out the specs for this equipment.