Thread: Magnetic Clasps

Default Magnetic Clasps

Hi There!

I have a specific question regarding magnetic clasps. I have been using mag-lok clasps for my bracelets for a while now. They are neodymium and amazingly strong. My issue is that I want to be able to wear multiple bracelets at a time but not have the clasps constantly attach to each other. I’m wondering if there are similar clasps out there that perhaps have a casing around the magnet which would prevent the clasps from attaching.

Thanks!

Due to very nature of Neodymium magnets I think you will have difficulty in achieving this a casing around the magnet would need to be quite thick, some type of fastening between each bracelets to keep the clasps offset may work
    otherwise back to non magnetic clasps

Dear NVaid,
    I have been browsing the internet, as no doubt you have, for information about shielding strong magnets. It does not seem likely that you can do so successfully for use with jewellery in close proximity.
    The answer might be to use a favourite with a magnetic clasp in conjunction with others fastened conventionally. After all there are plenty of bolt rings and lobster claws available, or you might even consider making hooks.

Below is a selection of my bracelets giving a view of the fasteners. Most of them have hooks and there have been no complaints. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bc1 Bracelet collection.jpg   bc2 Bracelet details.jpg  

Oh Dennis - what a treat to see those again - thank you

Thank you George, but it's acrylics now. You put it in the kitchen oven and then bend it around a mandrel. I'm making one with a hinge and fastener, which I hope to show later. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Dear NVaid,
    I have been browsing the internet, as no doubt you have, for information about shielding strong magnets. It does not seem likely that you can do so successfully for use with jewellery in close proximity.
    The answer might be to use a favourite with a magnetic clasp in conjunction with others fastened conventionally. After all there are plenty of bolt rings and lobster claws available, or you might even consider making hooks.

Below is a selection of my bracelets giving a view of the fasteners. Most of them have hooks and there have been no complaints. Dennis.
    Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, I have just recently switched from the magnetic clasps to larger lobster clasps. I do really love the ease of using magnetics but in the end, lobsters provide the added benefit of having an extender added to the bracelet. I think this is the way to go.

I love your bracelets!

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Due to very nature of Neodymium magnets I think you will have difficulty in achieving this a casing around the magnet would need to be quite thick, some type of fastening between each bracelets to keep the clasps offset may work
    otherwise back to non magnetic clasps
    Thank you so much for your response. I have switched to using lobster clasps for now. I'm going to keep looking into different types of clasps as well.