Hello,

Question is in the title. :-)

Essentially, I’m trying to find out if nickel is still commonly being used in gold alloys, such as the material available here at Cookson’s. I did email them directly, but they wouldn’t give me that information, and just said they are in compliance with the EU nickel directive, which is not particularly helpful. Why doesn’t anyone list the actual composition of the alloy they are selling?

The jewellery I make is specifically marketed to people with nickel allergy. Most of what I sell at the moment is titanium and argentium silver, but I would love to add some small gold items as well. To do this, though, I need to source nickel free gold.

I am aware of the EU nickel directive, but it is really quite flawed. The nickel is not *supposed* to leach out of stainless steel, for example, but it does (causes a reaction every time I wear earrings with “surgical steel” posts, so I don’t anymore).

If anyone has any info on common practices in making gold alloys (not white gold - I know to avoid that stuff), I’d appreciate it. I do test all my metals with a nickel test solution, but since gold is expensive, I’d like to have an idea what I’m likely to be getting before purchasing.

Thanks in advance!