Thread: Best place to buy lighter fluid?

Default Best place to buy lighter fluid?

Hello! Just wondering who knows thr best place to buy lighter fluid during the current crisis? Trying to avoid supermarkets and my local hardware shop has now closed. Thank you.

I’ve always bought mine from Cookson but only when there is free delivery or it will be marked as hazardous and they’ll charge huge amounts. It’s also when you should buy anything marked hazardous

I buy it from Shell in 20 lit drums, about $160 AUD last time

Any tobacconist or newspaper shop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And Tesco Home delivery.
    Last edited by Dennis; 13-04-2020 at 01:28 PM.

You can buy it online, but you'll be looking at a fiver for delivery as it has to be sent by courier. Which can be worth it if you buy several canisters, but watch out for the base price, as it can be high to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Misskitty View Post
    Hello! Just wondering who knows thr best place to buy lighter fluid during the current crisis? Trying to avoid supermarkets and my local hardware shop has now closed. Thank you.
    Poundland.
    Nick

Just t be specific, the Lighter fluid I purchase is for cleaning (X55) actual lighter fluid in it's various brands, is not recommended for use as a solvent (X55 ) is a laboratory grade and guaranteed to be clean.

We’ve all given advice and the poster hadn’t been back again as far as we know

MissKitty,

Can I just clarify are you after Lighter Fluid - the petrol based fuel used in Zippo type lighters, or Lighter gas - the butane based gas for the plastic refillable lighters and small butane torches such as the Dremel Versaflame?

I found that less and less places sell the canisters of butane around mine, however if you are going to be using them long term then there is an option to use adapters and canisters meant for camping stoves which seem to be available quite easily both on the highstreet or on line at a cheaper price per canister than the lighter gas.

There are, however, a number of different types of canisters with different. Two very common types are

The screw on type - has a screw that the appliance connects to. Can be converted to fa connector like the lighter gas connector using a screw thread. You can get an adapter for thease to let you fill up your butane torch. Screw on adapter - although whilst I can fill my Dremel with this It doesn't work on the plastic lighters

Push and twist canisters have a notch which the appliance connects into and then twists into to secure itself onto. This needs to have an adapter to convert it to the screw type first. Convert twist to screw

In the short term it ends up as an expensive option forking out for the adapters but long term it does mean that whatever type of canister you can got hold of you can then fill up your torch rather than hunt around for the ligher gas refills.