Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Pastel Necklace.

Default A Pastel Necklace.

Here at last is a pastel coloured necklace as requested by a family member.

The graduated pieces were marked out using an oval template, but I thought the result too fragile without support, so they are glued onto textured Argentium ovals with jump rings previously added.

The spaces were cut away to keep the metal out of sight and this proved to be the most challenging part.

I also used my favourite barleycorn chain, adding some jump rings at one end, for adjustment. It was then finished with a small pink oval and a hook fastener made from triangular wire.

I have included pictures of the bracelet and the ring, which you might have seen before and some stud earrings to complete the set.
    Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M1 Marshmallow Bracelet.jpg   M2 Marshmallow Ring.jpg   M3 Ear Studs.jpg   M4  Necklace.jpg  

I've never seen pastel acrylics before. Surprised it was fragile without a backing. I love the ring, I think the chunkiness of rings works so well with plastics.

That is another splendid creation, it has inspired me to to get right back into things ( shoulder has recovered as much as it ever will )

Loving the shapes of the necklace especially, very retro again and I’d happily wear that. I’m not a pastel person so loved your more bold colours better but that’s a purely personal thing.
    Maybe in this time of isolation I should be pulling out my rather large box of Perspex sheet and off cuts. I can only think brights were in vogue in the late 70s/80s as there isn’t a bit of baby pink or blue!

I like them :-) they remind me of sherbet sweets I used to eat when I was youngster. My granddaughter would love them.

Sheena: They were fragile, because the colours were only touching at a point of contact which would not stand up to use if glued. The perspex is from Simply Plastics who will supply a set of colour samples, sufficient for a starter. The comment about this kind of ring is that it is comfortable to wear because it doesn't tend to rotate on the finger

Bob: The best thing I did in November was to indulge in a table top band saw, which allows me to cut even strips with minimum effort. It seemed profligate to buy a major piece of kit late in life, but it reduced the need for lengthy sessions with a hand saw. The cost was £156 including carriage. I already had a miniature belt sander which makes short work of sanding to a line. Both are used plugging in a domestic vacuum to reduce the dust.

Caroline: Yes I agree with you about colours, so I tried hard not to go too layette. They do go quite well with faded and informal tops.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sweet Pastel Cast Acrylic.JPG   Clarke Band Saw 109B.jpg   Jb1 Mini Belt And Disk Sander.jpg  

Than you Alastair. They do look edible. I still have quantities of material, which is very inexpensive, so I shall bore you all with more of the same. Dennis.

Those are all lovely Dennis and good enough to eat! Clarks do a very good range of kit, for a good price, so don't feel guilty. We bought a piece of kit about a year ago that has been invaluable for stamping out letters etc.

Bob, sorry to hear your shoulder has been giving you gip; I hope it heals quickly.

Loving all these makes that people are doing and I hope to get into stonesetting soon...using those titanium strips I bought.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Sheena: They were fragile, because the colours were only touching at a point of contact which would not stand up to use if glued. The perspex is from Simply Plastics who will supply a set of colour samples, sufficient for a starter. The comment about this kind of ring is that it is comfortable to wear because it doesn't tend to rotate on the finger

Bob: The best thing I did in November was to indulge in a table top band saw, which allows me to cut even strips with minimum effort. It seemed profligate to buy a major piece of kit late in life, but it reduced the need for lengthy sessions with a hand saw. The cost was £156 including carriage. I already had a miniature belt sander which makes short work of sanding to a line. Both are used plugging in a domestic vacuum to reduce the dust.

Caroline: Yes I agree with you about colours, so I tried hard not to go too layette. They do go quite well with faded and informal tops.
    The band saw would be a must if not the grinder. I’m not sure I have the energy for cutting with a coping saw and filing by hand although I have been known to use a wood rasp which seems a bit brutal but worked really well

Thank you Jules. Yes one of my oldest pieces of equipment is a Clarkes 20 ton bottle jack, which is at the heart of my hydraulic press. Still working well after 20 years.

Caroline, I have a rasp and a Surform, but haven't needed to use them yet. Dennis.