Thread: solder station from boards - pins not holding!?!

Default solder station from boards - pins not holding!?!

Hi all,

Trying to make a stand up solder station using solder boards from cooksons, the base and back are holding ok but the side boards will not hold with the 'picture/frame pins' im using ..they just will not take and hold boards together (going in through one board flat to the filling/membrane on other...imagine an L shape)

now thinking to use glue, but will this be a bad idea if torch heat gets to it? melts and toxins?
    cant think of another way.....any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Build a frame? I don't think I'd trust pins to hold while I was soldering.

No, those solder boards are very fragile and become more so after repeated heating. So I suspect even bolted to an angle iron frame would be a waste of time, as the boards will soon crack.

A cheap barbecue pan with a raised metal back would make a more reliable soldering station. For instance this one with the legs and grid removed. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3451319 Dennis.

Go to the hardware store and buy some 9mm FCS glue the edges together with Sikaflex Pro

Bob, They are vermiculite boards and 17mm thick. You can break them in half with your hands.
    Going that route, you would be better off buying vermiculite stove lining, which can be thicker and cheaper. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    No, those solder boards are very fragile and become more so after repeated heating. So I suspect even bolted to an angle iron frame would be a waste of time, as the boards will soon crack.

A cheap barbecue pan with a raised metal back would make a more reliable soldering station. For instance this one with the legs and grid removed. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3451319 Dennis.
    great idea.
    thanks

OK I should have been more specific, by FCS I was referring to Fibre Cement Sheet, I have built my solder/casting area from this, it is pretty much fireproof, it is the same board that it used to clad buildings I have fire bricks as a base and the FCS
    as the back and sides.

I use an old roasting tin
    Poor old Les