Thread: Traditional tie pin

Default Traditional tie pin

I have been asked to make a traditional tie pin with the long thin pin which having pierced the tie, goes down the back of the tie for 5 CMS or so. What metal should I use please, bearing in mind it must be fairly thin, sharp ended and resistant to bending?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can use 18ct white, but no need, because Stainless steel wire from Smiths is much cheaper (and accepted for hallmarked items) and you will have plenty left for other brooches in the future.

See 0.8mm ( bottom of page, load more items). https://www.kcsmith.co.uk/category/w...less-wire-hard.

You will find the end hard to bend, but about 5mm can be heated to red and when cool, re- polished. That will bend fine and harden again in the process.

Below is a stainless steel brooch pin fitted.

Another word of unasked for advice: Tie pins leave holes in ties and some people might prefer a slide instead. Just a thought. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f Feather Brooch Reverse2.jpg  

Thanks for the advice. Yes I make slides but this is a specific request. I remember as a lad I had to have one when I was wearing a cravat (showing my age now!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk