Thread: London Assay Office issues

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Did you clearly mark where you wanted everything marked and in what way and did you supply the the instruction sheet for additional info ?
    If you did all that then I would be upset.
    Are you saying the hallmarking cost that much or is that the cost of making the pieces?
    Thank you for the reply.

I rang up multiple times for guidance and yes I did as best I could with information I was given at their end.. £250 for was registration and 8 pieces. I’m far from wealthy but I ran a costume jewellery business for 10 years, had my work featured in the multiple places including Sunday Times, exhibited at big shows etc. I know my way around both business and customer service and that way the assay office (barring a very helpful woman on their initial helpline) I have never known anything like it. Who cc’s customers into emails which include the line: ‘well you can complain about me now’ whilst addressing the initial email to a superior? All very odd.

The way they seem to explained it to me is that sending work is a gamble and you should be grateful for any work sent back even if it’s bashed to bits.

I advise anyone who is new to hallmarking avoid this company. I’ve asked for a refund now and would like to clarify at no point have they offered to rectify any of this including offer a apology for a phone call that left me in tears. Very disappointing. I’ll investigate Birmingham also, but think I’ll go with Edinburgh.
    Last edited by Misskitty; 18-03-2020 at 10:09 AM.