Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: London Assay Office issues

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Sometimes laser is the only mark possible if you make bespoke and having that option has been a godsend in many cases.
    I’ve been registered since 1979 and I can honestly say I’ve never lost a mark either punch or laser to polishing and have only ever had a mark there was a bit of movement on and that was probably my makers mark and not having the right stake for the job or I did it on my own when it was maybe a 2 handed hold which is why I find laser marking so useful now
    It’s great you’ve not had issue but seemingly a few people have including myself. I’d love to know what I’ve paid for ultimately? I’ve been promised a phone call back for nearly 2 weeks chased it up and not had a single response from them. Not even a polite acknowledgement. I’ll have to take this through trading standards. Because in all honesty I’m not sure how they see themselves as immune to rectifying shoddy work?

The other item was thr brooch pins they used my punch which was far to big for the wire displacing the pin and then leaving the faintest scratch of a mark on a piece that needs soldering up to 10 times (I supplied all the metal). My customer got back to me when I mentioned it and said he thought the pin had been scratched or damaged. Visually it’s a mark that raises questions more than denotes quality. I’d like to clarify: the person on the phone told me he wouldn’t have put the mark on the pin and would have done it on the backplate (large enough to withstand a hard punch), yet I am offered no rectification or solution.. £250 down the drain. I just want others to be aware of how they feel they can treat people. Which is ignore them until they go away.

I would just like to say thank you to everyone for their help and replies, I really do appreciate it especially in the current climate. x

Just for information Edinburgh is very near to closing down and is not accepting any more work. Anything still with them will be put in the safe and insured by them until they open again

The value of "hall Mark" have long gone with rate of forgery from the est, I believe that are a outdated process ind in an s short time time will disappear

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    The value of "hall Mark" have long gone with rate of forgery from the est, I believe that are a outdated process ind in an s short time time will disappear
    I hope not as we value them. I’ve not come across fake marks as I don’t do fairs but I know people are duped by marks other than assay marks. This even applies to makers some of whom are really ignorants of the regs. Once you know what you’re doing it’s just another part of the process

I've just checked the BAO website and its business as usual and they have no plans to close, though obviously that may change if they are forced to by the Government. I hope not, but these are certainly challenging times for most people.
    Jules

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

London have closed early, following the announcement from the PM and the current requirements. The email I was sent states:

In light of the PM's announcement last night we will close sooner than previously planned - today at 5pm.

Please do no send work to us, or come to Goldsmiths' Hall today Tuesday 24 March.

Completed post work which has been paid for will be posted back.

Work received today, or any work we are unable to finish will be stored securely at Goldsmiths' Hall until we reopen.

Customers are advised to continue to check our website for latest details.

I thank you for your co-operation at this time.

Yours faithfully

Dr Robert Organ
    Deputy Warden