Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: London Assay Office issues

Default London Assay Office issues

Hi guys, new to the forum but not new to Cooksons.

I was wanting to know if anyone had received poor treatment from Goldsmiths assay office? I decided to go with them despite a friend warning me off as theyd had some bashed work back. I took the plunge, however I too am having serious issues with them, the work I've been sent back their non existant customer service.

Can anyone advise?

Think I'll be going with Edinburgh next, they seemed much more helpful on the phone. And much love to everyone during this incredibly anxious time. x

Can you be more specific about your problems please
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Hello, one in issue in particular, was I chose a large stamp for a ring and when I polished it gently with the motor the mark completely splodged. I was then told I should have expected it to be worn away, yet their website says choose a stamp punch as that is durable polishing where as laser isn't?

It’s still best to polish before you even have it punch marked A punch mark is indeed the most durable but it still won’t withstand a lot of polishing. What sort of mop did you use out of interest?
    Edinburgh is great, I’ve been with them for decades. The problem you have with the mark on your ring may not be solved by moving office though

Thank you, it was a already polished and required no further work, it was just a final polish with a soft calico mop not at full speed. I also had a gold ring whose mark seemed to moved during punch so had a slighy 'lag' indent for lack of a better word (not splayed). I had to give both to a customer this weekend and was pretty embarassed and disappointed.

The hostility from their customer service manager who rang me when querieing this was also an issue. Never as either a customer or a business owner have I been on receiving end of such a hostile person. I'm a new customer, not an imbecile. Very disappointed with them as a company.

I can’t comment on your treatment but a soft wool mop for a touch up polish is sufficient. Calico mops are quite hard and I never use them at all.
    Edinburgh is definitely a good office and always helpful. You’ll have to pay another registration fee though won’t you?
    They have just sent out an email saying at the moment they are business as usual but this may change and they are in contact with other offices to cover if needs require it. This maybe isn’t the time to move

I've always found its better to work with Assay Offices, than against them. After all, they've been stamping work for a very long time and if they've made a mistake will usually rectify it. If, however, they haven't, then its up to us as makers to learn from it.

I've had issues with my local assay office in the past, but now don't, as we worked together to resolve things.
    Jules

Here is a URL to a short video on how a silversmith sets a hallmark. I understand that the situation with jewellery is different to that of marking silver plate but he does have a tip for prevention of damage due to polishing. The damage to the mark due to polishing is more likely to happen with larger marks as there is more room for the mop or bristles to get into the mark. In addition to the tip on the video it is possible to use sealing wax or something similar to protect the mark while polishing. You will however have to remove it with a suitable solvent once polished.
    https://youtu.be/I0F2dnieQBU
    Last edited by alastairduncan; 17-03-2020 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    I've always found its better to work with Assay Offices, than against them. After all, they've been stamping work for a very long time and if they've made a mistake will usually rectify it. If, however, they haven't, then its up to us as makers to learn from it.

I've had issues with my local assay office in the past, but now don't, as we worked together to resolve things.
    Thanks petel but I’m not sure by what you mean working against them?

To clarify, I rang up multiple times for advice which was always a bit rushed and not clear, read their FAQ’s and felt I had chosen a stamp size to withstand polish as advised. I sent brooches which were stamped on a tiny pin displacing the metal where as they should have been stamped on the larger piece of metal as they ended up unnecessarily splayed, all of which stated not to choose a larger stamped as it wasn’t but suitable for thing metal. Head of customer services even told me: he wouldn’t have stamped on there.

I was expecting a helpful response to any of these issues and instead was dismissed, offered no help and had to deal with a hostile phone call and bizarre emails where I was CCD’d in being spoken about between multiple people. If I’m honest I’m completely perplexed by the whole thing. I spent £250 for 8 pieces, and right now all I’ve received is splayed metal, a wiped off mark and a lagged ring mark. Surely this can’t be the way they deal with things? Anyway thanks eveyrone. Edinburgh seemed much more helpful, but yes I’ll have to pay another register fee

Did you clearly mark where you wanted everything marked and in what way and did you supply the the instruction sheet for additional info ?
    If you did all that then I would be upset.
    Are you saying the hallmarking cost that much or is that the cost of making the pieces?
    Last edited by CJ57; 17-03-2020 at 08:05 PM.