Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gluing rubber cord

Default Gluing rubber cord

I want to glue some 3mm rubber cord into a circle, best glue for this? I'm thinking areldite. Yeay or nay ?

Loctite do an adhesive specifically for nitrile O rings that's ideal.
    Araldite doesn't really adhere well to rubber, nor does it flex.

Assuming I've parsed your sentence correctly, of course...

No glue I know of on its own will hold it for more than 30seconds, Sheena. You will need to use some 4.00mm (12-15mm long) tubing and glue it in, then crimp it or use two very thin rivets.
    Even then, unless done very well it wont hold for long. You stand a better chance with elastic covered in fabric.
    A good glue to use is G-S Hypo Cement, because it sets, flexible and is meant for this.

While I was writing this, Peter came up with an alternative solution, which you can browse herte:https://www.google.com/search?client...ve+for+o-Rings Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 12-03-2020 at 10:22 AM.

It's pretty incredible stuff - I was making up some odd-size large O rings a while ago and they're still in service.

I have been using Henkel/Loctite 406 for years to make o rings, recently as temporary fix I made a large one to use as belt on my little drill press it has been going strong for months, it is constantly under tension
    ( the fun part is still to come accurately joining the urethane when it arrives )

This is exactly what I need, as i'm basically making a large o ring. Liked the amazon review that someone posted for it 'Makes broken things not so much.' thanks peter and china. Dennis your solution could be useful for other projects it would give a really modern look to a necklace.
    Last edited by Sheen; 12-03-2020 at 01:22 PM.

My earring design at the moment, the glue I used 'zap' wasn't strong enough, loctite ordered and winging it's way.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200312_134959.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	12363
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200312_092300_compress16.jpg  

Wow, just tried the loctite, it really sticks, no time for moving the bits about, and it's not coming apart again. I've got two differant designs to finish. Happy days

Ha, have you got several designs Sheena?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    Wow, just tried the loctite, it really sticks, no time for moving the bits about, and it's not coming apart again. I've got two differant designs to finish. Happy days
    It doesn't muck about, does it?