Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to experiment but....

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your comments!

One thing I will say about what we've been through is that online communities, some on Facebook in particular, have been really helpful and supportive and there are a frightening amount of families experiencing mental health issues with their children and the changes in/difficulties with education and just general mental health services. I'd have been totally lost without them.

Caroline, I agree with your comment about wearing jewellery - never keep it for best, just wear it!

Bob, thank you for that, as you know your encouragement led me to being confident enough to offer my work for sale and I've sold much more than I anticipated.

Etching - I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it before but I use nail art plates and stamps to add designs using nail varnish as shown in this blog post and use ferric nitrate, and at some point with try it out with electro-etching supplies to speed the process up. I find nail varnish to be a fantastic resist, the only drawback is that they're not my designs. I'm particularly fond of a couple of plates with Art Nouveau and Art Deco designs and on the pictures sheet just mix up different sections of them. The ammonite sections and butterfly on the back of the pendant came from a plate of nature designs. One day I'll get around to using my laser printer and glossy paper to add my own designs but for now I'll stick to the nail art method.

Love your earrings, as really love pieces that dangle and move and the etchings, beautiful

WOW the etchings are great. Is it just my tired eyes or does that sheet look see-through?

Quote Originally Posted by jay-ell View Post
    WOW the etchings are great. Is it just my tired eyes or does that sheet look see-through?
    Definitely your tired eyes I'm afraid, I think what you're seeing are the reflections of me and my house behind me

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Totally fab Deb, gives encouragement to retry the process

Love your style and your work Deb
    Really sorry to hear about your daughter but very glad she's doing well now x

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    The thing is I don’t even have pierced ears so perhaps that’s something I should do
    I think you should. I've really missed wearing earrings and I know I could have been making them anyway, but I'm a selfish maker so creating things that I love to wear is great, and to be honest it's these kind of pieces that potential customers seem to love too so it's a win all round.

Quote Originally Posted by alastairduncan View Post
    I really like the earrings and the etching. Is great :-)

Alastair
    Thank you, I do love etching and need to start etching my own designs. I've done so with larger pieces where I've drawn designs with paint pens but I need to conquer my fear of applying toner resists.

Quote Originally Posted by Animalnutty View Post
    Love your earrings, as really love pieces that dangle and move and the etchings, beautiful
    Thank you x

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    Totally fab Deb, gives encouragement to retry the process
    If you do I'd love to see the results!

Quote Originally Posted by TDA20 View Post
    Love your style and your work Deb
    Really sorry to hear about your daughter but very glad she's doing well now x
    Thank you, I still feel that I'm very much a beginner and it's very encouraging that far more experienced creators and designers here like what I'm doing. I'm beginning to lose my sense of imposter syndrome.
    The daughter thing - yes it's been very emotional and down right difficult but the sun does appear to be shining a little more often x

Thank you, I still feel that I'm very much a beginner and it's very encouraging that far more experienced creators and designers here like what I'm doing. I'm beginning to lose my sense of imposter syndrome.
    The daughter thing - yes it's been very emotional and down right difficult but the sun does appear to be shining a little more often x[/QUOTE]

The thing about us more experienced creators is that sometimes we become a bit stuck and it’s great to see some lovely new makers creating some interesting work that you wish you’d made yourself!

As for earrings, I make a lot of them and it does seem daft they are the only thing I can’t wear. Actually cuffs are t great and I have tiny wrists but that’s not such a loss

What talent! Makes me realise how pedestrian and stuck on a rut I am.