Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi, can anyone make the Discworld silver horse necklace properly?

Default Hi, can anyone make the Discworld silver horse necklace properly?

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm an impostor here, as I am not a jewellery maker (I do pots and knitting!) - so feel free to tell me to go away - but I am looking for someone who can make something very specific and a jeweller recommended that I try asking here.

I am looking for a pendant like the one in the Discworld novel "a hat full of sky", which is illustrated on the back cover thusly: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cropped.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	12353

I wondered if anyone here could make it properly, with the chains?

And also how much it would and should cost? It looks pretty simple but very fiddly!

It seems the Discworld Emporium sold nice ones 10 years ago, but the ones available now have the legs stuck together with solid struts instead of little chains that allow them to move, which spoils it. These are the nice old ones: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	internet.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	12354
    Thanks,
    Emma

Hi Emma
    The first thing I would say is there is probably a registered trademark on these so it wouldn’t be advisable to do a straight copy. It’s a really nice form but not sure people want to do a replica of someone else’s design. Someone would possibly be willing to do their interpretation

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

It looks like the white horse at Uffington, (Now part of Oxford I believe), so might be part of the National Trusts copyrights?. However, the original artists were clearly over 100 year copyright timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    It looks like the white horse at Uffington, (Now part of Oxford I believe), so might be part of the National Trusts copyrights?. However, the original artists were clearly over 100 year copyright timeframe.
    She said it was from the Terry Pratchett Discworld books Wallace and retailing in their collection. It’s 1983-2015 so possibly still a very viable moneymaker for his estate given his demise
    Last edited by CJ57; 11-03-2020 at 10:55 AM.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    She said it was from the Terry Pratchett Discworld books Wallace and retailing in their collection. It’s 1983-2015 so possibly still a very viable moneymaker for his estate given his demise
    Pratchett was a ‘local’. And so is the Uffington horse, from which I am guessing it was initially inspired. As it is not too dissimilar, it may be worth referencing the White horse for the design, to keep clear of Trademarked and copyright law.

I did say an interpretation of the original would be a possibility . Covers the personal ethics of copying someone else’s design in the first place which isn’t an uncommon request and the bigger question of copyright on a big brand

I did say an interpretation of the original would be a possibility . Covers the personal ethics of copying someone else’s design in the first place which isn’t an uncommon request and the bigger question of copyright on a big brand
    As far as I am aware the designer was a resident of the Bronze Age and most unlikely to express an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    As far as I am aware the designer was a resident of the Bronze Age and most unlikely to express an opinion.
    What, the designer of the Discworld franchise
    Last edited by CJ57; 11-03-2020 at 08:29 PM.

pTerry was an impressive (and fun) man in person, but I don't think he or anyone he knew was capable of time travel other than in the normal direction (i.e. one day at a time).

What, the designer of the Discworld franchise
    He was the copier not the designer