Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Titanium soldering strip questions

Question Titanium soldering strip questions

I've started this thread, as I'm having a go at rolling mine down and others may find this thread useful.

OK, so they've arrived, are 1.25mm thick and I've milled down my first one. I'd like it to be around 1mm thick.

Do I anneal between each pass??
    Jules

When I made mine I did not mill them down I just shaped them and ground the ends to suit

Thanks for your reply Bob. Having not used Titanium before, would I need to have a greater amount of heat than working with silver to anneal them, to mill them thinner, or just put through the mill more often, as its a 'tougher' metal?
    Last edited by Petal; 09-03-2020 at 07:18 PM.
    Jules

Without getting really technical if you heat to a dull red and let it cool that should suffice, you will find that titanium tends to work harden more slowly than silver put some protection between the rollers and the titanium so you
    don't damage the rollers.

This is really useful, even though I don't have a rolling mill. I've got some strips and I've not really used them. I have had a go at filing and shaping them to use them but have found them super tricky to bend into the shapes suggested from Jame's suggestions from the PDF he has shared. Technical/user error on my part I'm sure.
    I generally end up using the strips to balance pieces on or butted up against pieces of silver to ensure they meet when I'm soldering tiny jump rings to larger mass pieces and don't want flux expansion to hinder me.

OK, so I've already buggered that up then, as I put them through the mill without protecting the rollers.

Would I need to anneal between each pass? I don't tend to do this with silver, unless I'm milling really thick sheet.
    Jules

No you will most likely find that you can put it through quite a few times before it becomes work hardened, same as silver it will stop moving when it becomes hard then anneal again.

James didn’t say anything about protecting the mill

I've got one to about 1mm thick (having problems with my measurer, as I need a new battery). I've taken pics all the way along and, once I've done my sawing and shaping, hopefully on Wednesday (sorry), then I'll post back with how its all gone.

I love the bluey colour the Titanium goes when you anneal it though.

Thanks Bob for your help. xx
    Jules

I've made a few and they are always in my work box ready for action.

There is definitely no need to anneal. The amount you roll them down, depends on the delicacy of your work, buy is not critical. Mine are about a mm thick and were easy enough to bend with pliers and grind with small stones on my motor. A saw and files would do the same thing.

They have not left any marks on the rollers of my Durston.
    The hinged one was made of stainless steel, before the titanium blanks came on the market and was use to hold together the ends of large wire hoops for soldering. It did not draw any comment at the time when I showed it here. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soldering Clamps.jpg