Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Titanium soldering strip questions

Good to know Dennis as I didn’t want to put them through my Durston either if that was the case

Re rolling mill, I would just rather be sure than sorry, replacement rollers are $1000 a set down here, annealing just makes the process easier

I rolled my strips down using my old Durston, I did roll them down at the edge of my rollers and not in the middle just in case the titanium strip marked them, but they didn't leave any marks on my rollers.
    I did get KnewConcepts to try supplying thinner strips and they did make some thinner strips and sent me some, but for some reason didn't carry on making them. I think they had problems with their titanium supplier back then.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I rolled my strips down using my old Durston, I did roll them down at the edge of my rollers and not in the middle just in case the titanium strip marked them, but they didn't leave any marks on my rollers.
    I did get KnewConcepts to try supplying thinner strips and they did make some thinner strips and sent me some, but for some reason didn't carry on making them. I think they had problems with their titanium supplier back then.

James
    If I wanted to protect my rollers, how would this be done?

Last night I used some folded over copper sheet, after Bob mentioned protecting the titanium, but copper is softer, so would this work, or should I use something else instead? I found it more challenging to put through the mill, as I couldn't see the titanium strip.

Just edited to ask James, what thickness was the original strips?
    Last edited by Petal; 10-03-2020 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Missed out another question
    Jules

Jules, the strips that I got from Knew Concepts when they first started selling them are approx 1mm. thick, I rolled some down to approx 0.75mm. thick. Knew Concepts did try some 0.5mm. thick but I found them a bit weak.
    Bear in mind that the USA still use imperial measures and the strips they sell are actually 0,050" thick which is approx 1.27mm.

I have not seen the strips that Cookson sell as I got hundreds given to me by Lee Marshall as a thank you for suggesting they sold them.

James

I've checked my mill, with no bad effects from milling the original strips, but will definitely keep to the edges, rather than the middle

I'll continue annealling and plan to mill some .75 mm thick for clamping studs onto earring backs. Thanks for the further info James.
    Jules