Thread: Barrel Keeps Falling Off Motor

Default Barrel Keeps Falling Off Motor

Hello,

I have the 3lb barrel polisher and for months the barrel keeps falling off the motor and I have to continually
    return it to the motor. I think the issue could be that water is leaking from top and bottom lids but I don't know why? I did replace the barrel a few months ago but had the same problem with the new one. I've had the machine for about 6 years and this has only started happening within the past year. Any advice on how to keep the barrel on the motor would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Could be a number of reasons what is the brand and model.

It's from Cooksons Gold - product code 999 6005

Fairly standard type of operation, my guess would be bearings in the rollers, if one slows or ceases up even just for a second the Barrel will jump off. The other thing to watch out for is that the ends are on square if not the Barrel can spiral it's way off
    Last edited by china; 09-03-2020 at 03:24 PM.

You can try making the barrel a little heavier by adding more shot or more water, but there is no remedy for the leaks, which are a feature of this kind of barrel, as the plastic lids expand with use.

Some years back I gave up on mine and bought a Lortone 3A . They work on a slightly different principle. The barrel is rubber and has a double lid to ensure no leaks. It is slightly upended, and has a slotted guide to keep it running true. Result : barrelling heaven.
    There are some on EBay at present https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...rock%20tumbler Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis; 09-03-2020 at 04:55 PM.

I second the Lortone clearly the best tumbler on the market, the ones in the link all appear to be 115v, so they will require a transformer to run in the UK,

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

If cost is an issue, put some large rubber bands on the lid ends, or, if you can stretch to it, a rubber barrel.