Thread: Paw print bracelet.

Default Paw print bracelet.

Like all my work, it's not perfect! Not sure I'll ever manage that

It's a personalised paw print piece, done from a little photo of the dogs paw. It's for a friend who lost her dog recently and thankfully she loves it.

I started off doing keepsake pieces years ago and is nice to be doing some again, just need to practise and build my confidence up again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0597.jpg  

Hi Karen, what makes you think its not perfect then? It looks good to me.

Practice and perseverence are good for building confidence, but sometimes I let low confidence get in the way of learning/improving.
    Jules

It all depends on what your definition of perfect is. No one else knows what you went through making the piece so they don't know where the imperfections lie. An old boss of mine used to say they are "subtle imperfections of a hand made article". I much prefer that than having a perfect machine made item.

It looks great.

Alastair

The quest for perfection will drive you nutty Karen. You're good as you are. Dennis.

Lovely piece Karen, as said above the tiny imperfections, make it a one off unique item.

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    Hi Karen, what makes you think its not perfect then? It looks good to me.

Practice and perseverence are good for building confidence, but sometimes I let low confidence get in the way of learning/improving.
    Thank you Well I made the jump rings which aren't perfect, a really simple thing I know but always seem to struggle getting them just right. Also the oval, is not quite equal, the paw print was a little wonky (it was a wonky paw print because it was an old dog with mobility issues) and I did it around that. However as mentioned below maybe that is part of it being hand made. I think you are right though, I can let lack of confidence impede and am trying to work on that.

Quote Originally Posted by alastairduncan View Post
    It all depends on what your definition of perfect is. No one else knows what you went through making the piece so they don't know where the imperfections lie. An old boss of mine used to say they are "subtle imperfections of a hand made article". I much prefer that than having a perfect machine made item.

It looks great.

Alastair
    Hi Alastair,

Thank you. I think that is part of it, I made mistakes making it (that I managed to correct) so am letting that influence how I see the finished piece, but nobody else knows about that looking at the finished piece. Until I feel compelled to tell them of course I like your quote from your old boss though and should try and hang onto that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The quest for perfection will drive you nutty Karen. You're good as you are. Dennis.
    Hi Dennis,

As a perfectionist not producing perfection it does indeed drive me a little nutty, so wise words. Though, while I agree to a certain extent you are as good as you are, where there is room for improvement if you don't strive for better or just accept it then there is definitely no chance of improving and maybe I won't, can but try though

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Lovely piece Karen, as said above the tiny imperfections, make it a one off unique item.
    Thank you very much, also wise words to keep in mind

Thanks everyone for the comments, much appreciated.

Karen

Karen - it looks great

If we're always looking for perfection in something then we will fail to see the beauty in it.

I know how it feels, to know of he mistakes that used to be there, or the ones still there that no one knows about. I had to have a completed necklace snatched out my hands by my mother to stop me from "fixing" something that only I know was wrong. Still tempted to sneak it back and fix it - it's not technically hers till her birthday.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jay-ell View Post
    Karen - it looks great

If we're always looking for perfection in something then we will fail to see the beauty in it.

Jason
    Hi Jason,

Thank you!

There is a lot of truth in that It sounds like you understand though (and that your Mother was pleased with her necklace).

I think it's the silly mistakes I am making that are impeding the way I look at things and then I get frustrated and then lose some confidence. Going away from the piece for a while and then going back to it I am happier with it than I was, and peoples very sensible advice (kind comments) help too. Maybe I should do that with pieces I am unsure about, take a little break away and then go back to them with 'fresh' eyes.

Karen