Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gold Ring Enlargement

Red face Gold Ring Enlargement

Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice. I've done a bit of silver soldering before but not gold. So due to the sentimental value, I took my great grandmothers 18 carat gold wedding ring into a independent jewellers to be resized, instead of having a go myself. When I received it back the section of gold which has been added is lighter than the rest. Is this normal? Should I take it back and complain and ask them to do it again? I've attached photos so you can see what I'm talking about.

I will be very grateful for any advice received.

Cheers

Nic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200304_093823[7756].jpg   20200304_093639[7758].jpg  

Yes, it looks as if they have used yellow gold ( hopefully in the correct carat ) whereas the ring is made of red/rose gold, which has more copper in the alloy.
    Since it is to be worn by a family member, I should put up with it, rather than have it resized and risk more porosity, already visible at the join.
    Just put it down to experience and do it yourself next time. Dennis.

I am not sure how much you paid for this, but if it was my great grandmothers ring, I'd take it to another jewellers for a 2nd opinion and decide on the course of action afterwards. I'd do this for two reasons. Firstly, the modification is not neat, since there is a colour difference and secondly, you need to find out if the carat is the same as the rest of the ring. If you choose to do this, I'd look for another jewellers not in the same town as the first one, who make what they sell and also do a 'remodelling' service. If, however, you can't be faffed, then just keep it, but be aware that its value may be compromised if you don't know what carat the modified part is.

Good luck.
    Jules

To put it bluntly that is a very ordinary job it is not of a professional standard, and yes if it were me I would take it back and request they do it correctly. Matching rose gold is difficult ( they should have explained this ) who ever did this has not even attempted too as mentioned the job itself is not good.
    Last edited by china; 05-03-2020 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    To put it bluntly that is a very ordinary job it is not of a professional standard, and yes if it were me I would take it back and request they do it correctly.
    Agreed. That's atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    To put it bluntly that is a very ordinary job it is not of a professional standard, and yes if it were me I would take it back and request they do it correctly. Matching rose gold is difficult ( they should have explained this ) who ever did this has not even attempted too as mentioned the job itself is not good.
    It's a family heirloom not High St ****. You took it to an "expert" and I would definitely consider it unacceptable.I worked in Consumer Protection many years ago and you did not get what you paid for.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I'll definitely take it to another Jewellers to be fixed now that I have confirmation the initial job was done poorly.

I'd simply sue for the price of the ring to be restored to a proper condition. It's very easy to do online. Find a new jeweller who will back up your case with a written confirmation of eg the wrong carat of gold used.
    Your photo is clear but make sure you have hi-resolution ones for the judge, who will be able to see that the job was botched.
    There is no reason why you should be out of pocket. And in this case no reason I can think of why any judge would hold it against you that you didn't go back to the original jeweller to give them the opportunity to put it right
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Wow what a shoddy job! A professional jeweler did that? I'd post a review of his business on google and include that picture so other people are warned before taking anything to him/her to be resized. I'm a hobbyist with no training and I could probably match the gold better than that. If they had specified before the fact that they would resize it with different color/shade of gold it would be one thing. But the fact that they would just resize it like that and return it to you with no warning, explanation or apology is shameful. I wouldn't dare take it back to the same place.

To be fair, that is a two year old thread, so the problem will have been resolved one way or another. Sadly most members cant be bothered to come back and tell us how. Dennis.