Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: using coloured wire in designs

Default using coloured wire in designs

i'm currently using coloured wire in mainly black and cream to make Viking knit chain necklaces. I was wondering if the forum has any thoughts on using coloured wire in their jewellery designs. What's the durability like, are some wire companies quality better than others? I love what i'm doing with the coloured stuff and would like to continue.

Hi Sheena. Jewellers tend to be deeply traditional and not moved by innovation involving base materials and bright colours.
    I note that even you have not commented on my show and tells involving coloured acrylics, which you can now see in my album.
    The answer is that If you, your friends and family approve, go ahead and make it.

You don't say what sort of wire you are using, but if it an anodised soft alloy, it will probably wear down to the grey colour in patches quite soon.
    If it is niobium, or titanium it might last longer, but be harder to weave.

You could brighten up the forum, by showing some when completed. Regards, Dennis.

Hi Dennis, I haven't been on the forum very much for some months now, have been struggling to keep up with things in general, though I did see some of your laminated acrylic pieces which I liked a lot, particularly the ring you made. I've been using copper wire with a coloured coating from the scientific wire company and I've also tried some black stuff from beadsmith. i'll post some piccies for you when I have a quiet moment.

Yep lets see it! The good thing about a amateur/ hobbyist jeweller is we do not have to follow tradition that's where the innovation germinates as for your question I have no idea I have never used coloured wire, but common sense says that if it has a coating
    then 90% of the time the coating will eventually wear off accordingly if the metal is soft then it will be less durable. My opinion is that most companies will be selling the same stuff and it will be mainly the price that varies.

Mmm, trying to post a picture from my new samsung s10 and it keeps saying upload failed.

What's the image size? The limit for uploads isn't massive.

Thanks Peter downloaded a file compressor and that's done the trick! One of my black viking knit necklaces. Made the pom poms too but the rest is bought in plate. I find it good to play around with costume stuff as it gives you a chance to have fun and experiment with design without using costly materials.
    I don't think I'd try neobium as last time I looked it was more expensive than silver. The titanium option mind be interesting though it's springiness could be problematic

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200302_090851_compress57.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	12333
    Last edited by Sheen; 02-03-2020 at 01:29 PM.

It won't be to everyone's taste but I've had some good feed back so far

It is very impressive Sheena. Look forward to seeing other efforts and other colourways. Dennis.

Yep I'm impressed