Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: solderiing 3 posts at once

'I thought that we were all metalworkers'

True James, but some of us are overburdened with daily chores and don't have juniors to take them on for us. Good to see you back here, Dennis.

Ditto Theresa.
    Nick

I wanted to ditto Theresa's comment.
    And thanks again Goldsmith.Very useful.
    Dennis- hmmm... I know what you mean.
    I must make more of an effort . I'm always looking for solutions to problematic, to me, soldering.
    Nick

Hi Dennis, I do read this forum everyday, but most of the time the themes are not of interest for me to comment on. These titanium soldering clamps strips that Knew Concepts sell around the world were my idea originally and most of the ready made clamp shape photos that are used by sellers are my photos.
    Over the years I have cut and shaped many different shaped soldering clamps to suit certain jobs, originally I made them from stainless steel sheet but the titanium ones are far superior.
    This was the only credit I got on the knew concepts website.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68 Knew Concepts details.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	12339

James

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I thought that we were all metalworkers, shaping these clamps only takes a few minutes using round nose and flat pliers. I have posted photo sheets before showing how I make them but here is some of my photos that may be of use, please ask if you want more info.
    Attachment 12335 Attachment 12336 Attachment 12337 Attachment 12338

James
    Yes all metalsmiths but sometimes it’s the easy stuff which challenges you at 2am and you want an easy solution

Sorry to go on about soldering clamps, but I think it's worthwhile spending some time making them.

Someone asked me about a clamp that would hold single claw settings in place on a bracelet and I suggested this shaped clamp,

Name:	71 Clamp sheet.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	12342

I also did a test run making these 4 standard clamps for a job

Name:	66a standard clamps.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	12343

James

I'm just about to order some of those clamps James, as I've got a new project on the go. Are there any specific tips I need to be aware of when milling the strips? Also I notice you use an '0' sawblade. I've got some Platinum King 2/0 sawblades; could I use these?

Many thanks
    Jules

Hi Jules, the titanium strips mill down down OK, I only thin down the ones that I want for tiny jobs, the strips as sold are about 1.3mm. thick and I just mill them down to circa 1mm. thick. They will pierce OK with 2/0 blades, it just may take a little longer. I have now sold my rolling mills so I make do with the standard strip thickness and just file the points of the clamps thinner which works OK for me, as it's the clamp points that do the work of holding while soldering.

This is a standard 1.3mm. thickness clamp with filed down points.

Name:	27 T clamp in use, close up.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	12344

Good luck,
    James

Many thanks for your tips James, its now in my basket.
    Jules

Sorry for the long delay in thanking you all. I wanted to see how I got on before I came back. Based on your advice I got the courage to plough on and, whilst it's not perfect, I'm so pleased with the result. It's only the third thing I've made and has made use of a piece of lava stone my daughter brought back from Iceland so it will mean a lot as I wear it as a pendant. First time tube setting too so let's see how long those CZ's stay in place!

Who knew I'd also get a mine of information about clamps too

Thanks to everyone
    Emmy

Name:	IMG_2497.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	12345