Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: solderiing 3 posts at once

Default solderiing 3 posts at once

Hi everyone,

I'm making a triangular cage and have hit a potential challenge. I'd really appreciate any tips/guidance please.

The triangle in the photo has some medium solder in it (I know it shouldn't but it's a long story!). I want to solder the 3 posts onto each point so my questions are:

1/ can i use easy solder on these and then extra easy when I'm fixing this triangle to the top triangle? I will also be soldering two tube set stones onto two external sides of the triangular cage which is also causing me to headscratch.
    2/ how do I prevent the posts from toppling or moving with the flux when soldering?
    3/ is there a way of soldering all 3 at the same time?

Thanks so much
    Emmy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2460.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	12329

1 I would use medium solder to attach the posts, they are over already soldered joints it should not be a problem. I would solder the bottom triangle, then the top, diligent use of the torch is the key, heat only where is is needed
    2 Many options if you have steady hands just hold in place with solder pick, use a small heat resistant weight placed on top top, spring loaded tweezers, forceps, anything that will hold them.
    3 Yes but it would be fiddly I would solder the triangles then fit the posts between them and solder the posts.
    Re the tube set stones, depending on the stone, the bezels will need to be soldered on to the side before the stones are set, most stones will not survive the soldering process.
    Hope this helps, if I have not explained well enough feel free to question

I use home shaped titanium soldering clamps to hold wires etc in place when soldering, like these ones.

Name:	24 T clamps in use, script page.jpg 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	12330 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11 Example of use for T shaped clamp.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	12331 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12 Example of use for T shaped clamp.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	12332

Titanium strips available from Cooksons, see;https://www.cooksongold.com/Jeweller...rcode-997-3318

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 01-03-2020 at 09:30 AM.

I would certainly not be in a hurry to use low melting solder for this. There' a lot of construction still to come, which can easily be done using the same solder at lest twice before changing down.

To ensure the posts stay in place, I would lay a small piece of fluxed copper sheet on top. That will steady them and only draw of a little of the heat.

I would also avoid borax and use Auflux/Auroflux, which does not froth and expand when heated. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 01-03-2020 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I use home shaped titanium soldering clamps to hold wires etc in place when soldering, like these ones.

Name:	24 T clamps in use, script page.jpg 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	12330 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11 Example of use for T shaped clamp.jpg 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	12331 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12 Example of use for T shaped clamp.jpg 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	12332

Titanium strips available from Cooksons, see;https://www.cooksongold.com/Jeweller...rcode-997-3318

James
    I'm so impressed by the shape of your clamps Jim. Perfection

I can vouch for their effectiveness, but the pain is that they come as blank strips and you have to make them up yourself. Even if you buy a pack of strips from Cookson, it is will most likely add to the backlog of your to do list.
    They would go like hot cakes as an assortment ready made. Dennis.

[QUOTE=Dennis;107025]I can vouch for their effectiveness, but the pain is that they come as blank strips and you have to make them up yourself. Even if you buy a pack of strips from Cookson, it is will most likely add to the backlog of your to do list.
    They would go like hot cakes as an assortment ready made. Dennis.[/QUOT
    I agree Dennis. I’ve had mine a couple of years now unopened. I was having a problem sweat soldering the other night and binding wire wasn’t doing it so I opened the packet but could not work out how best to shape them to something like those so they went back in the packet

While it would be a great idea to buy them ready made, most would not want to pay the extra cost, new concepts have a photo of suggested configurations also a welders third hand, made in a appropriate size is very handy

I thought that we were all metalworkers, shaping these clamps only takes a few minutes using round nose and flat pliers. I have posted photo sheets before showing how I make them but here is some of my photos that may be of use, please ask if you want more info.

Name:	33 T shaped clamp example sheet.jpg 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	12335 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43 Making and using a standard shape clamp.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	12336 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75 A selection of shapes.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	12337 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	76 Ideas of shapes sheet.jpg 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	12338

James

I second that James, myself I have no problems making them, I have a few blanks as spare to use if I need something different. I made my "welders " third hand from stuff I had laying around, long before it became popular for Jewellers to use them
    Last edited by china; 03-03-2020 at 09:41 AM.