Thread: Can I use my registered makers mark on copper and brass?

Default Can I use my registered makers mark on copper and brass?

Hey all.

I know I could just phone the assay office and ask, but I hate using telephones and don't want to sound like a dumb ass, so thought I'd ask here first.

I registered with Edinburgh years ago and had a makers punch made - my initials in two separate circles.

What I'm wondering is, can I use this makers mark on pieces I make in copper and brass? I just want to stamp them with my makers mine to show I've made them, no other marks required.

I was thinking of asking the assay office to send me my punch. I get all my silver work lasered and about once every two years send in a big batch of ring shanks to get punched, so could send my punch in with that order when required.

I don't know if this makers mark punch is specific to precious metals or whether I can use it to mark any piece I make.

Thanks

Evie
    Find Milomade online - follow the links below....
    Website | Instagram

It’s your mark Evie so you can use it just as a makers mark if you want. Mine is so small it’s not worth doing so

Yeah mine is quite tiny, so maybe I get a new one made. Cam't remember how much the assay office charge to make a punch these days. Maybe it'd be cheaper to get it made elsewhere. Any ideas?
    Website | Instagram

I had to have a new punch made a while back from the assay office and they were looking for new suppliers. I have to say it’s pretty rough in comparison to my original one. A brand punch would be ideal for what you want but no idea where you’d get one

Quote Originally Posted by Milomade View Post
    Yeah mine is quite tiny, so maybe I get a new one made. Cam't remember how much the assay office charge to make a punch these days. Maybe it'd be cheaper to get it made elsewhere. Any ideas?
    https://www.google.com/search?client...+for+jewellers Dennis.

Just to give you an idea of cost I am having one made at Birmingham 80GBP
    Last edited by china; 21-02-2020 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Cool - ta very much - will check that out. I've got a commission from a whisky distillery for a load of copper pieces and would really like to put my makers mark on the finished items, so hopefully I can find somewhere I can get my makers mark made slightly bigger and cheaper than the assay office.
    Website | Instagram