Thread: Which saw blade is best for the job?

Default Which saw blade is best for the job?

Hi Guys

I've got a a large offcut of copper for a recycled jewellery job that's about 3mm thick. What is the best gauge of saw blade to use on something so thick? I need to cut large ovals for a flat bangle design.

Thanks

E
    Find Milomade online - follow the links below....
    Website | Instagram

The standard rule is "minimum 3 teeth in the cut". That said, I use 4/0 on 5mm steel, but that's for complex shapes so coarser works fine for simpler layout. Copper's a bit of a pest at times given how gummy it can be.

As Peter says, it can feel as if the blade is sticking. A 2/0 blade is about right for a smooth finish on 3.00mm sheet.

Frequently lubricate by applying beeswax or candle grease to the back of the blade not the teeth. I find a tealight is handy on the bench.

Use good quality blades, such as Vallorbe, or Bergeon. Dennis.

Thanks guys - I've got 2/0 and 4/0 and I've tried a 2/0 and it's OK but really slow progress even when lubricated with beeswax.
    Find Milomade online - follow the links below....
    Website | Instagram

I used to use Beeswax, and changed to paraffin wax years ago it is less sticky, copper will seem slower to cut if you are used to Sliver
    when I visited Korea a few years ago I was fortunate enough to be introduced to a Keum Boo Master who did everything the "Old Way" using heated rocks to produce Keum Boo.
    He was also exceptional at piercing he used a very fine oil to lubricate his blades.

If cutting straight lines, You will make more progress by leaning the blde forward for a few strokes and then up righting it in a sort of slow rocking motion while sawing. Dennis.

For 3mm thick sheet I would use a larger saw blade, size 0 is the size I would use, but that is probably only because it's the largest in my stock of blades.