Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excess solder/polish around earpins

Default Excess solder/polish around earpins

Hi,
    How can a remove excess solder and polish the area around earpins?
    First of all is it possible by hand? I'm using a dremel, I know it's not great, but can you suggest some mops/brushes for this area?
    Thank you

Almost impossible to do neatly, but you can try, emery boards for nails, cut to a pointy shape with a snap off craft knife, followed by radial disks, starting with yellow at slow speed.

Better to practice making a little pit for your post and then using less solder. Use copper for cheap practice material. Welcome to the forum, Dennis

Hi Dennis, thanks for your response.
    Probably is better to use the earpins with the flat disc instead the normal ones. For earpins do I have to use hard solder or easy will also work?

Do I need all disc colours??

Can you also suggest another electric tool that I can buy to replace dremel? I think dremel is useless...

Sorry for asking many questions...

The answer would be to ideally use less solder, a tiny pallion of solder is all that’s necessary for a post.For excess, needle files should take out the excess and then sandpaper to finish off. Excess polish should wash out with washing up liquid on a toothbrush and hot water
    Last edited by CJ57; 19-02-2020 at 12:27 PM.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Theofili View Post
    Thank you!
    I’m wondering if you are using solder paste? It’s difficult to tell how much solder is in the paste and then you end up with this spread. If using paste I use a wooden cocktail stick to place it more accurately and take off the excess in the same way. I’ve never used it for posts and I’d still prefer to use strip solder.
    If you have already hard soldered there is no harm in using easy for the last solder but properly prepared and fluxed hard shouldn’t be a problem if you heat up the earring first and then place the post. I often melt my pallion first and then place the post just as it’s ready to flow again. It needs a bit of practice as Dennis said but it means the post is less likely to melt!

I don't use paste. I asked about easy solder because it takes some time for hard solder to flow (I place the solder on the earring and I heat up both together). Probably I should do what you said to melt it first and the place it on the earring. Have you tried the denaturated alcohol and boric acid mix for avoiding firescale?

Quote Originally Posted by Theofili View Post
    I don't use paste. I asked about easy solder because it takes some time for hard solder to flow (I place the solder on the earring and I heat up both together). Probably I should do what you said to melt it first and the place it on the earring. Have you tried the denaturated alcohol and boric acid mix for avoiding firescale?
    No I haven’t, I just deal with it I’m afraid

I have used the Boric acid Alcohol mix quite successfully, although in saying that I use it as more of a insurance just to be sure, one thing to remember is fire scale is very often a result of over heating

Probably is better to use the earpins with the flat disc instead the normal ones.
    No, they scream amateur. Use the plain ones, in a small pit. Support them with self closing tweezers, balanced on the edge of your block, or surgical clamps. Use a tiny amount of snipped solder (see Caroline's Post)

For earpins do I have to use hard solder or easy will also work?
    Easy works just fine. They need twisting with pliers afterwards to make them stiff.

Do I need all disc colours?? No, for semi-satin finish, yellow will do.

Can you also suggest another electric tool that I can buy to replace dremel?
    You will be better off with a cheap micromotor. (Note they will only take standard2.34mm tools).
    Have a look at Cousins: https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/m...ma-micromotors
    Cousins are difficult for returns, but I have always been lucky with them
    Otherwise you can look at amazon, or EBay, but you might be caught for tax and duty. It's more of a gamble.