Thread: Rose Gold Soldering

Default Rose Gold Soldering

Hi all

I am planning to make a rose gold wedding ring for my daughter, the section profile of which is still to be decided. It will not be needed until next year so plenty of time to experiment/practice!

So far, I have only worked in sterling silver. Some questions:

1. Am I right in thinking red gold is the same as rose gold?
    2. Red gold solder only seems to come in sheet form. I doubt I will ever make anything else in rose gold although working with yellow gold is a probability and for which solder can be bought in smaller quantities. Does anyone know where I could buy red gold solder in the small quantity I will need or should I use yellow gold solder? I am led to believe the joint could show even with red solder.

Thanks in anticipation. This will be a gift so presumably there is no need to hallmark.

Ian

Yes, red gold and rose gold contain a more copper, but are essentially the same thing. There is no need to hallmark, but your makers mark or some inscription, (avoiding the solder join for later re-sizing) will add sentimental value.

The cheapest way to experiment is to use copper, with silver solder.
    If you search, you might be able to source red gold solder in wire form, which is sold by the cm.
    Otherwise, I know that Cookson will sell a half piece in their showroom, but they might also accept the order by phone. Dennis.

I am in the process of making a rose gold ring and I was concerned about the join showing, I have gone to a lot of trouble and a fair few dollars in my quest to match the solder to the gold, my conclusion is it is near impossible, so you are left with making the join as inconspicuous as possible so yes you can use a non rose gold solder how ever it will show, just be very fastidious with the soldering and preparation of the join.
    In my case I have modified the design.

As for getting a tiny amount of solder - you could ask a working jeweller to sell you what you need? They are bound to have lots of different sorts in/accumulated over time
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I always use yellow gold solder on rose gold these days as the rose gold solders come up yellow anyway.
    Make a really tight join and you will barely see it.

Yes I have seen many rose gold rings soldered with yellow gold, it seems to be the accepted method, with a plain band you can't modify so you are stuck with it, the ring I am making can be modified as you will see when I start posting the build picks
    I am being overly fussy because I can.

Talking Rose Gold Soldering

Thanks to all for your replies. The lack of difference between yellow and red solder could be appreciated by my wallet!

On a completely separate note Dennis, do you know the next storm has been named after you and is this an honour?...

Ah well, don't get me started on climate change. We are having a bad storm at the moment in southern UK. People are living in damaged and flooded houses and some idiots are in denial about the cause.
    I shall probably get kicked out for straying into politics, so best not to reply. Dennis.