Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: wide band ring sizing troubles

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    Do you not add the extra 5mm on each side for bending it that Andrew Berry talks about in the video?
    That's the bit that was putting me off the technique as it would add considerable expense.
    No, provided you bend the ends first the bending tool can cope without any extra. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Dennis I checked out the link just for my interest it does not work, may just be me thought I would let know in case it it does not work for anyone
    That's strange Bob: it works from here, but if you google: http://mordent.com/toolsapps/ it should come up. That said, it although it has been popular on the forum, I just use callipers on my ring stick and my desk calculator which has Pi. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    No, provided you bend the ends first the bending tool can cope without any extra. Dennis.
    Oh that's great. So do you just file the ends and then bend round, no sawing through?

No, sawing through heavy ends can go wonky, so in this instance I just lightly file the ends, using a filing block also known as a chenier clamp, which makes sure they are perfect.

Obviously you don't absolutely need this tool, bottom right of my picture, but I like it. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tube Cutting Jig andChenier Clamp.jpg  

Dennis I tried it again and all seems well ( internet gremlins having fun)
    Last edited by china; 10-02-2020 at 03:58 AM.

No, sawing through heavy ends can go wonky, so in this instance I just lightly file the ends, using a filing block also known as a chenier clamp, which makes sure they are perfect.

Obviously you don't absolutely need this tool, bottom right of my picture, but I like it. Dennis.
    Ah thanks Dennis, that's really helpful. I also have that clamp and think it's brilliant. Just ordered a ring stretcher and some ring bending pliers so will give it a go.

Ok, last word:

Go slowly with the ring stretcher and keep checking on your ring stick, because you can easily pass the mark.
    Rotate the ring a little at each press, to ensure it ends up round, not five sided.

Practice with copper, or a scrap ring first to get the hang of it. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 10-02-2020 at 01:21 PM.

Ok, last word:

Go slowly with the ring stretcher and keep checking on your ring stick, because you can easily pass the mark.
    Rotate the ring a little at each press, to ensure it ends up round, not five sided.

Practice with copper, or a scrap ring first to get the hang of it. Dennis.
    Thanks very much Dennis, will do.