Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wide band ring sizing troubles

For bending, I use a ring bending tool as below, with a strip of leather inserted to protect the outer surface from marks (fiddly but important). It will bend thick metal with little effort and also serve to press the ends together.
    Tools n Tools have some moderately priced ones made in India.
    When bending short pieces of stout wire, remember to bend both ends first and then the middle.

I aim to have the ring approximately one English size too small, and then gently stretch it to size with my ring stretcher. No bashing and no damage. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pl Ring Bending Tool.jpg   r Upright Ring Stretcher.jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 08-02-2020 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks Dennis, that's very helpful. It does sound like a good method. Do you do the same process for thinner rings aswell?

Oh - I've just realised where I was going wrong before:
    I just measured a second 69mm length of silver that I had ordered to make another version of the first ring that went wrong. It measures 73mm!!
    Lesson now learnt to always measure what I've been sent before starting!
    Thanks everyone for your patience and help. This has also led me to think about trying the other method aswell, so always good to learn something new.

Result! Measure twice, cut once?
    (and skip the extra 1mm!)

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    Thanks Dennis, that's very helpful. It does sound like a good method. Do you do the same process for thinner rings aswell?
    Yes, that is what I do for all rings, except that with silver when I have some stock in hand, I make a ring on the end of a length of wire just like winding a jump ring.
    Push it up a ring stick until it reaches the size required (one size below target), and mark where to cut with a water proof pen.
    Once soldered it can be stretched to size, with very little loss of thickness, but it ends up well hardened and rounded.
    There are no hammer marks and only a few shiny spots on the inside, easily removed with Scotchbrite. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Result! Measure twice, cut once?
    (and skip the extra 1mm!)
    Yes indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes, that is what I do for all rings, except that with silver when I have some stock in hand, I make a ring on the end of a length of wire just like winding a jump ring.
    Push it up a ring stick until it reaches the size required (one size below target), and mark where to cut with a water proof pen.
    Once soldered it can be stretched to size, with very little loss of thickness, but it ends up well hardened and rounded.
    There are no hammer marks and only a few shiny spots on the inside, easily removed with Scotchbrite. Dennis.
    Thanks for that. Do you find it expensive when making with gold because of the excess needed to wrap around?

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    Thanks for that. Do you find it expensive when making with gold because of the excess needed to wrap around?
    No, for gold, I would use the length needed minus about 1.00mm, to allow for expansion.

Some use the formula: length= 3.14 x (diameter+ Thickness). Others use a table http://mordent.com/toolsapps/
    If using English sizes, make sure the letters are upper case. Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis; 09-02-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Dennis I checked out the link just for my interest it does not work, may just be me thought I would let know in case it it does not work for anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    No, for gold, I would use the length needed minus about 1.00mm, to allow for expansion.

Some use the formula: length= 3.14 x (diameter+ Thickness). Others use a table http://mordent.com/toolsapps/
    If using English sizes, make sure the letters are upper case. Dennis
    Do you not add the extra 5mm on each side for bending it that Andrew Berry talks about in the video?
    That's the bit that was putting me off the technique as it would add considerable expense.