Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signing work=makers mark=sponsors mark?

Default Signing work=makers mark=sponsors mark?

Hi,

New to jewellery making and wondering how to sign my work, or identify it as my work? Would that be done with a makers mark issued by an assay office? I’ve also seen sponsors marks mentioned, is that the same as makers mark?

Thanks X.

You don't say where on this planet you are, various codes apply in various places, yes a makers mark is how most do it, in Australia it is up to the individual Jeweller/Maker to mark their items. ( I have never heard of a sponsors mark )
    I believe in the UK you can apply your own makers mark or have it done by an Assay office, (I'm sure some locals will either confirm or tell me I'm wrong) can be by the use of a punch or these day some have it done by LASER, personally I prefer a punch.
    Punch is expensive but will pretty much see you out.

The sponsor’s mark and maker’s mark are the same thing. The former is used by the assay office as I’ve just had to re register mine.
    Do you want to mark everything even underweight items?
    You can use your punch registered at the assay office or you could have a bespoke punch made for branding only. It wouldn’t be valid for assay as their punches are pretty limited and more functional than artistic
    Last edited by CJ57; 04-02-2020 at 01:09 PM.

I am having a replacement makers mark punch made at Birmingham ( at great expense ) can't get what I want down here
    I have about 15 Hall mark punches close on $1000 worth

I’m in the UK. Yes I was wondering how to sign my work including underweight.

If it does not need to be hallmarked, you can also use a vibrating engraver and sign it that way. They are relatively inexpensive and you can write whatever you want. https://www.google.com/search?client...ating+engraver. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Pickwick View Post
    I’m in the UK. Yes I was wondering how to sign my work including underweight.
    It’s not a requirement just a personal choice. Not sure many of us do it so choose from the suggestions I made above. I mostly have everything hallmarked even if underweight and I have a batch going in. I haven’t bothered marking otherwise.
    Either have everything hallmarked
    Or use either your registered sponsors mark or a punch custom made for underweight items.
    Last edited by CJ57; 04-02-2020 at 04:14 PM.

Ok enlighten me if you have a makers mark over there do you have to register it

I think I’ve just said that but yes £72 to register plus the cost of the punch or as I am re registering at a cost of £36. I don’t know what the charges or rules are at any other office but Edinburgh

I’m not sure i’d trust myself with a vibrating engraver, could look a bit wobbly. I’ll look into getting a makers mark registered. Thanks X.