Thread: Stamp 1-2mm copper blank - arbor/hydraulic or hoofing great big hammer

Default Stamp 1-2mm copper blank - arbor/hydraulic or hoofing great big hammer

Hi again,

I'm fairly ok belting out circa 1mm thick copper discs using a 2lb brass mallet with my Indian disc cutter. In a previous thread I stated I might like to use custom dies to make imprints on one or both sides of these blanks, like a coin but not as thick as a coin.

I realise a 1 ton arbor press might help me with disc cutting but is it too weak to imprint a copper blank if said blank were sandwiched between an upper/lower die? I've seen the x ton hydraulic presses do this on Youtube demos but wonder if these 20 ton jobs are overkill?

The other idea I quite liked, as I enjoy belting things with a hammer, is this type of affair I saw on Etsy, a 'coin minting tool' that you whack with a sledgehammer:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/6147...l-coinage-coin

That's exactly the kind of thing I would like to create but it looks like you're tied in to that company's dies...I like the idea of the tool though!

Thanks

Dan

Don't know about the arbour press. It might not be strong enough. Some here use their hydraulic press, but I find it rather slow to set up for each press (pumping and releasing), so I favour hammers.
    That said, choose a hammer you are able to control. Dennis.

Do you want to cut and stamp at the same time if so you will be pushing it even with a 20 ton, cutting the blank then imprinting the design it a separate operation then 20 ton would most likely be suitable with copper annealed, although as Dennis said it would a slow procedure for any type of quantity. Bare in mind than a coin press at a mint operates in the vicinity of 200 tons with an already produced blank.

Thanks for the replies!

I was hoping the cutting and stamping as separate processes. I do wonder with the hammer strike tool thing method that you can get reliably consistent imprints with a hammer. Not sure how hard he is striking it in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs64imX-QXU

but wonder if one can get a consistent 'feel' for a mallet requiring a big swing! They are 2mm blanks though, literally coin thickness, my requirements are half that thickness I reckon.

By the look of the hammer I would say it is a 6Kg, you would probably be surprised at the impact weight, there would a mathematical formula to estimate it ( don't ask me), I have mate who uses a 50 ton power hammer to make Gold medals, they also have edge decoration, his dies and die holder were made locally and were very expensive

Looks like a job for a drop hammer, but ouch. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by DanHSW View Post
    ...but wonder if one can get a consistent 'feel' for a mallet requiring a big swing! They are 2mm blanks though, literally coin thickness, my requirements are half that thickness I reckon.
    There's a similar system detailed in the book "Numismatic Forgery" that has been used to create coins. Yes, it's perfectly feasible to swing a sledge consistently. Thickness of the blank isn't the issue when forming them - surface area (and depth of impression) are the main factors.

Thanks for all the replies, I probably need to do a bit of experimentation with a hammer before I commit to any kind of press!