Thread: Is there a better way to hold a ring when polishing with a drill pendant?

Default Is there a better way to hold a ring when polishing with a drill pendant?

Hi,
    I've spent this evening playing with my new drill pendant - trying to work out the best way to take a silver ring from 'formed' to 'highly polished'. I've had OK results but my fingers are now SO SORE!!
    I've been holding the ring against my bench peg and using the different brushes and mops, but the silver gets so hot. By the end of the third ring I was holding it with pliers!
    Is there a better way? Or a nifty little tool/ring holder that can be used instead of fingers?
    Thanks
    Emmy

Hi Emmy, I use a ring clamp like this. It's a bit fiddly but fingers remain at normal body temperature!
    Ian
    https://www.cooksongold.com/Jeweller...prcode-999-AKU

Quote Originally Posted by Embo View Post
    Hi,
    I've spent this evening playing with my new drill pendant - trying to work out the best way to take a silver ring from 'formed' to 'highly polished'. I've had OK results but my fingers are now SO SORE!!
    I've been holding the ring against my bench peg and using the different brushes and mops, but the silver gets so hot. By the end of the third ring I was holding it with pliers!
    Is there a better way? Or a nifty little tool/ring holder that can be used instead of fingers?
    Thanks
    Emmy

Other remedies are finger protection tape, and leather finger guards:

https://www.cooksongold.com/category...rotection+tape

https://www.cooksongold.com/category...+finger+guards

I always have some finger guards to hand, because they are quick to put on, before you get sore. Dennis.

I’ve not polished with a pendant motor but would imagine it gets more intensely hot. I’d suggest the same applies as with a bench polished and you don’t polish as hard or constantly and draw back from the polisher or in your case draw the mop away from the ring for a few seconds to let it cool a bit. It’s not often I get my fingers to burning stage and I know I’ve been doing it a bit hard if it gets hot and draw back.
    Last edited by CJ57; 02-02-2020 at 11:01 PM.

Thanks everyone.

I've ordered some finger gloves and will try to be a bit more patient - ie take some time to let the ring cool instead of ploughing on in my excitement! Does the joy of making ever wane? I hope not...

No it doesn’t wane but you learn to take better care of yourself. One warning that while the fingers protectors may do what it says on the packet your fine grip isn’t the same.
    Having thought about the wane, it’s more of an ebb and flow!
    Last edited by CJ57; 03-02-2020 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    No it doesn’t wane but you learn to take better care of yourself. One warning that while the fingers protectors may do what it says on the packet your fine grip isn’t the same
    I’ve not tried the individual finger protectors but I find the green sticky tape keeps a fairly sensitive grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianfs View Post
    I’ve not tried the individual finger protectors but I find the green sticky tape keeps a fairly sensitive grip.
    It probably does. I bought the leather ones many years ago and they are so thick they’re still in the drawer. A new product came onto the forum a while back and they were so tight they almost cut circulation and so pointed that your fingertips weren’t in play. That was another £20 down the drain