Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ring In A Box.

Default Ring In A Box.

This month I took timeout from my acrylic adventures, to join in our class project.

The task was to make a ring in a box, but I immediately thought of a set of loose stacking rings, which would need a container.

As usual I tried to make do with only the materials I had in hand, so I drew down some Argentium stubs into 1.3mm round wire and found a remnant of Argentium tubing which I had previously made.
    You will see the five small wire rings, each with a different coloured tube set stone. They have a silver carrier for ease of handling.

The box is made from offcuts of wood and laminated with wood glue; a lesson learned from my acrylic work.

The Two cotter pins, made by drawing down D-shaped wire and doubling it up, serve, one as a pivot for the lid with the ends glued in place, and the other as a catch, held captive by a chain.
    Tiny chatons, one red, one green, serve to emphasize which one to pull out.

Size of rings, N
    Exterior dimensions of box, L 4.8mm W 2.8mm H 2.3mm
    Hole diameter 2.5mm, height 15mm. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rp1 The Box.jpg   Rp2 The Contents.jpg  

Just delicious Dennis I have to admit to some special love for the little detail with the chatons!

Thank you George. I thought the chatons were a bit redundant at first, but they lift the rather plain wooden top, so I'm glad I put them in.
    I also wonder how many Argentium cotter pins there are in he world? I sent you a PM. Dennis.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Oh how very lovely Dennis. Love the pins!

Very nice Dennis (did you steel that idea from a racing car bonnet) the Cabinet Maker in me wants to know what the timber is
    just bought some really expensive timber from Tasmania for the Phoenix ring. ( yes it is still happening and the pictures will be coming)

Thank you Wallace and Bob for liking the project.
    The darker wood is Wenge with a hard g. I remember that, because the rather posh boss of the timber yard said his men called it Wenje. It's used here for flooring but in thin sections cracks along the grain. The redder wood is from Africa, but bought too long ago to remember its name. Dennis.

Bit hard to tell from the pic but armed with that information it could well be Bubinga ( African Rose wood )

Absolutely charming Dennis - you are so clever

Ha ha, you're making me blush Theresa. Thank you.

Hi Dennis,

What a beautiful project. I love both, that box is stunning (I have a bit of a thing for wooden boxes boxes and have a little collection but not clever enough to make them myself) and the rings, they are so pretty and just perfect.

Karen