Thread: Making a new setting bench

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Making a new setting bench

Hope ths is in the right place to put this on the forum.
    I have started to make a setting bench. First of all I'm not a carpenter despite my name! I sketched up what I wanted with measurements then had the local woodshop cut the panels for me. I used 18mm Plywood for most of it. I originally built the sides to fit a filing cabinet but decided against it and went for shelves. I attached most parts with glue and biscuits to keep it firm. Its approx 600mm deep x 1400 mm wide x 1000mm height.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1163.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	12288

The big panel on the top is to screw on the back of the legs to stop things wobbling.

Name:	DSC_1170.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	12289

A bit further on. I have the shelves fitted. I used 4 small plastic blocks under each shelf to secure them. The main work table was fitted on top of 3" x 2" so it should be nice and solid, I made the shelf height fit my motors and air hammer so they would be easily at hand. I temporarily attached the scope so I could set the table height up to keep my back straight while I work .

Name:	DSC_1212.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	12290

Everything removed again and I cut some kitchen worktop material for all the surfaces. I stuck it on with builders bonding grip glue. I'm not sure if I want to varnish it or paint it white, Job for this week. I need to hoover up now!
    Last edited by josef1; 26-01-2020 at 10:23 PM.