Thread: Microscope suitable for setting etc.

Default Microscope suitable for setting etc.

Hi,

I am wondering what spec is recommended as a jewellers microscope. I have been offered a meiji EMT-1 with led ring light, booms stand and wf5x/wf15x/wf20 lenses but I have no idea if this will be useful.

Any pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks

I prefer a zoom microscope, but on the understanding that any (stereo) microscope is better than none, if the price is right I'd go for it. Mine runs from about 6-40x (using 10x eyepieces) although I rarely go above 20x. If you're not already aware, the higher the magnification, the lower the depth of field so the slightest movement can shift things out of focus; an auxiliary Barlow lens will increase DOF at the same time as slightly reducing magnification - as well as giving a longer focal distance.

The working distance as stated above is important I think mines around 175mm it allows you to get tools in and still see whats going on . I would check that first

I use the Leica A60 with the GRS arm, supper microscope very bright and great tool. take a look at Sam Alfano's review.