Thread: Is there anyone out there that can do one off centrifugal casting of a flower?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Is there anyone out there that can do one off centrifugal casting of a flower?

Hello! I am brand new to the site and somewhat a fraud. I am NOT from the jewellery world!! *shriek. I am actually from the world of cake making which is far easier than the world of jewellery making and sadly with far more calories! I am looking to make metal castings of organic items like flowers but so far I have only found large companies who make car parts etc. Is there anyone here on the forum who does centrifugal casting of flowers who I could comission?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Elizabeth.

What you probably want is a company that'll do lost wax casting & burnout of organic materials; the burnout can be fraught sometimes as sometimes they don't fully decompose. Flowers should be OK for the most part, although they can be a little thin - the common solution to that is to paint wax (strictly casting wax, but beeswax was used for centuries) onto the back of the petals to make them a bit thicker. This will help the molten metal flow into the cavity left in the investment plaster.

There's quite a few casters do this - Jewelery Casting Scotland, to give one example.

A common alternative for a one off, is electro forming, which deposits a thin layer of metal onto the item. This can probably be sent out to a jewellery electro forming company, or quite feasibly done by you, if you intend to pursue this route.
    https://www.google.com/search?client...+for+jewellers. Dennis

Thank you both for your responses. I will look into both of your suggestions and see what I come up with! And any more ideas are very welcome!

All the best,

Elizabeth.

What type of flower is it ?

Ideally a rose but I think it might be impossible as the petals are so thin and the burnout of a larger flower leave ash to mix with the metal.