Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to measure ring size?

Default How to measure ring size?

EVERYTIME I make a ring either it’s too big or too small. What’s the correct and easy way to measure it?

Thank you and sorry if it’s a stupid question! I looked online but still not making any sense to me. I just need someone to tell me how to get this right like I’m a 10 year old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May help if you explain how you go about making a ring, possibly might find where you are going wrong,
    to answer your question the correct way or should I say the most practical way is with a set of ring sizers either fixed or the disposable type

There are also apps for smartphones which will measure the ring
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

There there, dry your tears and get a set of universally accepted ring sizers and a ring stick to match, as advised by Bob (China) above. If in UK, Wheat Sheaf is best, but the cheaper aluminium ring stick will do.

If the client is at some distance, post them a Cookson disposable sizer to confirm the size. If working in an expensive metal, consider making it in brass, or copper first. However wide the shank is, when finished the size mark on the ring stick needs to be in the midline between the edges.

Lastly, skip the maths and follow Andrew Berry in this essential video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaU5acww9gc

Dennis

I am a relative newcomer and use a set of ring sizers from Cooksongold, then drop the correct size over my plain mandrel and mark either side with a felt tip. I then form the metal around the mid-point and mark the point where the two ends of the metal cross each other. So far, so good.

Once I've got a ring size from a measuring tool, either a set of round ring gauges or one of those little measuring things that looks like a belt I pop the size and the dimensions of the wire into this https://mordent.com/toolsapps/

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    There there, dry your tears and get a set of universally accepted ring sizers and a ring stick to match, as advised by Bob (China) above. If in UK, Wheat Sheaf is best, but the cheaper aluminium ring stick will do.

If the client is at some distance, post them a Cookson disposable sizer to confirm the size. If working in an expensive metal, consider making it in brass, or copper first. However wide the shank is, when finished the size mark on the ring stick needs to be in the midline between the edges.

Lastly, skip the maths and follow Andrew Berry in this essential video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaU5acww9gc

Dennis
    Ha ha love your comments Dennis, thanking you for sharing the link and your wise words

Quote Originally Posted by misspond View Post
    Once I've got a ring size from a measuring tool, either a set of round ring gauges or one of those little measuring things that looks like a belt I pop the size and the dimensions of the wire into this https://mordent.com/toolsapps/
    Misspond, you have no idea, how much you’ve made my life easier!! Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    There are also apps for smartphones which will measure the ring
    Thank you, I need to have a look xx

You could make up a few sets of copper or aluminium ring blanks in different sizes, including half sizes and send them out to people?
    I get customers to keep them and wear them for a few days to figure out which ring is the most comfortable, to account for the fact that finger size can slightly change if hot, cold and with certain medical conditions, etc.

Take a deposit on the ring sizers and send them a returns envelope.

It's a good idea to send out ring sizers in the correct width and profile as a 2mm weddding ring will fit differently to a 6mm ring and a court ring will measure differently to a flat profile ring.