Thread: Treating crucible from and electric melting furnace before 1st use?

Default Treating crucible from and electric melting furnace before 1st use?

Hello,
    I have recently just set up everything I need to do my own at home casting... exciting!!! I bought the electric melting furnace from Cooksons and wondered if I need to heat/treat the crucible before I use it for the first time with metal? Trying to think of anything that can go wrong before I do the first cast so its a success! Many thanks in advance for any help and advise you can offer.
    Last edited by Tinka; 16-01-2020 at 04:06 PM.

No but you know you need to heat the crucible before adding the metal?
    Also heat the kiln before adding the crucible.
    Make sure you pour in a fire safe area as the metal can bounce out occasionally.
    Also stir with a carbon rod and add a pinch of borax
    Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    No but you know you need to heat the crucible before adding the metal?
    Also heat the kiln before adding the crucible.
    Make sure you pour in a fire safe area as the metal can bounce out occasionally.
    Also stir with a carbon rod and add a pinch of borax
    Have fun
    Thanks so much, I had thought of heating the crucible before but not putting it into a hot kiln so thanks for that info!

You're welcome.
    It is to prolong the life of the crucible, also leave it out to cool in a safe place rather than leaving it to cool in the kiln for the same reason.
    Be sure to check it regularly and replace before it gets too fragile too, I once had the metal come through the bottom as I had not replaced it soon enough, oops.

Hi, I also have a furnace from Cooksons and the instructions are very vague. I would really appreciate your advice...How long would you recommend heating the furnace for before I add the crucible? And how long should I heat the crucible before I add my metal? Thanks very much

I looked at the instructions for this furnace and apart from health and safety advice, there is not much to go on. Of course this is common for most tools of the trade.
    Sarah and some other members will be able to advise from experience, but you might also glean a little by browsing on line, for instance Here: https://www.google.com/search?client...+for+jewellery
    Dennis.

I read somewhere that the borax attacks the graphite and this shortens the life of them

I bring the kiln up to temperature before adding the crucible then bring it back up to temperature before adding the metal.
    I normally work at 1100 degrees C.

Thank you very much, I'll try your recommendation.