Thread: Laser or chemical etching

Default Laser or chemical etching

Hello, I am looking for a company to laser cut and etch or acid etch a couple of designs for a jewellery collection. I am finding it difficult as a lot of companies I came across doing this on a large industrial scale for engineering. I did find 2 in the Goldsmith Centre in Hatton Garden - CAD Man and DBC. Are those any good ? Can anyone recommend ?

Thank you Kristina

Looks like you'll have to try one, Kristina. The trick is to find out what a standard sized sheet is for them and cram in as many images as you possibly can.
    You can also consider sharing with a friend. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, yes you are right. It seems metal is not used widley Also thinking of using a CAD model for casting it would be more cost effective.

Best Kristina

Laser cutting silver is more problematic due to the heat conduction and reflectivity of the material, so that limits the kit slightly (steel's easy in comparison). Photoetching silver - I'm assuming it's silver you want doing - is a doddle, although undercuts can be an issue. I suppose EDM is a possibility, but it's overkill. Is blanking your pieces a solution?

As for DBC & CADMan - I've no direct experience of either for cutting, but I do know of both. I'd suggest getting a quote.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

you can also try out Geti, they do laser etching, even in small amounts. They are based in Birmingham, it is run by Alan Hardwick (member on here)

Thanks Peter, I have since decided to 3D design and print in gold, as the pattern has to be a sharp recess, will be casting this Friday, fingers crossed, I hope it will work, silver would be too soft.

Thank you, I decided to cast from a 3D design and print in gold, but I would still be interested in this method I will look at his website.